UT Tyler Police Department
Fire Alarm - If you hear a fire alarm:
- Turn off electrical equipment
- Close door against fire
- Do not use elevators
- Use fire exit stairwells
- Calmly evacuate to an open area 100 yards away from the affected building Fire
If you discover a fire:
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station
- Dial 911
- Notify other in your area
- Calmly evacuate to an open area 100 yards away from the affected building
If you receive a bomb threat:
- Elicit as much information as possible
- Calmly notify others in your area
- Dial 911
- Check your immediate area for suspicious objects. DO NOT HANDLE ANY OBJECT FOUND.
- Calmly evacuate to an outside area 300 yards away from the affected building.
In the event of a weather emergency:
- Take cover in designated "safe areas" or under heavy furniture on the ground floor in the center of a building, away from the outside walls and windows.
- If outside, take cover and lie flat in the nearest drainage ditch, excavation or ravine.
- Avoid auditoriums, lecture halls, laboratories, studios and hazardous chemical storage areas.
If you experience a medical emergency:
- Dial 911.
- An employee should also report the injury to his or her supervisor.
Evacuation and Lockdown Notifications
In certain emergencies, for the safety of the campus community, it may be necessary to either evacuate or to lock down building(s). During these emergencies, the University emergency personnel will utilize a multi-layered warning system in an effort to inform as many members of the campus community as possible. These warnings will be disseminated by several means including but not limited to emergency text notification system, campus email, voice mail notifications, and amplified outdoor warning systems. It is highly recommended that all members of the campus community sign up for emergency text notifications. Subscribing to the service is free. The campus community may sign up for the service on the police department front webpage at www.uttyler.edu/police.