Office of the Registrar
The University of Texas at Tyler holds Commencement ceremonies twice each year in May and December at the R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center. All graduating students are encouraged to participate in the ceremonies and join the administration, faculty, staff, fellow students and guests in celebrating this important milestone in their lives.
Spring 2016 Commencement
Friday, May 6, 2016
3 p.m. - College of Nursing and Health Sciences AND UT Health Northeast
6 p.m. - College of Arts and Sciences
Saturday, May 7, 2016
10 a.m. - College of Business and Technology
1 p.m. - College of Education and Psychology AND College of Engineering
Non-Ticketed Seating Information
Non-ticketed seating will be available in FAC 1009, located in the academic wing at the rear of the R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center, and will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. Guests in the non-ticketed seating area will have the opportunity to observe a live stream of the ceremony.
Ticketed Seating Information
- To better accommodate graduates and their families, UT Tyler has enhanced the commencement procedures to include ticketed seating, additional viewing locations and online streaming of the ceremonies.
- Tickets are required for admission. All guests, including children, must have a ticket to enter.
- Tickets may be claimed online via a link posted on this website during a specific ticketing period each term. Graduation candidates will receive a Graduation Information email at their Patriot account with these dates in April for Spring ceremonies and November for Fall ceremonies.
- Candidates with guests who need wheelchair-accessible spaces during the ceremonies may designate this when claiming their tickets online. Each wheelchair-accessible space will have three adjacent seats reserved for guests from the same party; ushers will be available the day of the ceremonies to assist guests with claiming these seats.
- The number of tickets available for each student, which will be the maximum number in the Guest Tickets dropdown on the ticketing page, is based on the number of graduates eligible for each ceremony and will vary by ceremony.
- Candidates are responsible for claiming their allotment of tickets and distributing tickets to all guests. Guest should be advised to arrive as a single group whenever possible, as saving of seats is prohibited.
Personal Property of Graduates
Graduates should not bring any personal belongings they cannot keep on their person to the backstage area during the commencement ceremonies. No secure storage areas are available and university staff will not take possession of, or responsibility for, personal belongings during the ceremonies. Students should leave any items they cannot carry themselves with their guests in the auditorium or in their vehicles.
The doors to the Cowan Center will open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony. Candidates for graduation should arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the start of the commencement ceremony to pick up name cards, receive instructions from faculty marshals, and prepare for the processional.
Flash Photography will be on site to take two photos of each candidate; one as they cross the stage and one immediately after. Purchase is not necessary. To view, proof, and purchase photos visit the Flash website at http://www.flashphotography.com. For more information, contact the Enrollment Services center at 903.566.7180.
Commencement DVDs are available for purchase from the Educational Technology Services office. To place an order, follow these steps:
- Contact Educational Technology Services (ETS) at AV_Services@uttyler.edu to place
order. Provide the following information:
- Shipping address
- Date and time of Commencement and/or Pinning needed
- Number of DVDs
- Contact the Cashiers Office at Cashers@uttyler.edu or 903.566.7228 or 7227 and pay by credit/debit card ($15/DVD) OR go by the Enrollment Services Center in ADM 230 and pay in cash or by check.
- Have the Cashiers Office fax copy of the receipt to ETS.
- ETS personnel will mail the DVD(s) to the shipping addressed given within 5 – 7 days of the order being placed.
Commencement for Summer Graduates
Students who graduate with their degrees in August are eligible to participate in the Fall commencement ceremony in December. All August graduates are listed in the commencement program for the Fall ceremonies. Early participation in the Spring Commencement ceremonies is not available as an option for Summer graduates.