Social Media Guidelines
Guidelines and Standards for UT Tyler Social Media
Social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram offer exciting opportunities for The University of Texas at Tyler faculty, staff, students and alumni to share knowledge, express creativity and connect with people who have common interests.
Most social media involves a quick, free setup, but requires time and effort to effectively create, post and manage the account. Take advantage of university resources by working with Marketing and Communications prior to setting up your account.
Review the following UT Tyler social media policies before set up.
- Officially recognized UT Tyler social media accounts and Web pages (including usage of the name UT Tyler, The University of Texas at Tyler, UT Tyler Patriots, UT-Tyler Patriots, UTT, UT-Tyler and/or the UT Tyler logos) are to be reviewed and approved through an application process through the Office of Marketing and Communications and the supervisor as appointed by your department head.
- Unofficial social media pages using the university name, logos and/or official visual identity on social media sites are not permitted. Please send your contact information to email@example.com for assistance with unofficial pages. We will be happy to assist with appropriate images for unofficial sites.
- Sites not in compliance may be reported to the appropriate social media site for removal. (See Impersonation.).
Set up your social media account
- Permission: Obtain administration permission for social media account(s) from department supervisor/chair or dean and the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Naming: Carefully name your social media account. Avoid using "UTT" or "UT". (example: facebook.com/muntzlibary) Title on the account can associate you with UT Tyler. (example: Robert R. Muntz Library, UT Tyler). Simply using the university name alone is not permitted.
Account backup requirement and registration: After creating your social media account(s) f, complete the UT Tyler Social Media Agreement and Registration Form.
- Login Credentials: Include all login credentials when completing the UT Tyler Social Media Agreement and Registration Form
- The Office of Marketing and Communications is not responsible for maintaining your page, but will offer support and ensure continuity through any turnover in university personnel.
Email:When setting up your account, use an official UT Tyler group email for the department with at least two members from the college or organization in the group. (example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Personal email or personal UT Tyler email accounts are not allowed. (example: email@example.com)
- To convey a consistent brand across all platforms, users may request social media graphics/images converted to brand profile photos for social media accounts.
Social media users acting on the behalf of the university should adhere to all UT Tyler policies and procedures including:
- UT Tyler Social Media Policy
Social Media Guidelines
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Brand Identity Policy
- Copyright Policy
- Faculty and Staff Handbook and Operating Procedures
- Non-disclosure Policy
- Student Manual of Policies and Procedures
- Website Publishing Guidelines
Impersonation of the university in any way on social media is prohibited. UT Tyler has the legal right to defend its brand against these violations. See the UT Tyler Social Media Impersonation Policy.
Representing UT Tyler
- UT Tyler encourages faculty, staff and students to use social media but reminds users that at any time they can be perceived as a spokesperson of the university.
- Assume at all times that you are representing UT Tyler.
- Identify yourself as a UT Tyler faculty/staff member or student representative.
- Use common sense before you post or comment and respect the values and etiquette of communities you join.
- Posting personal information on UT Tyler channels is not allowed.
- Only comments using profanity, offensive comments or advertisements not related to the site should be deleted. It is not the practice of UT Tyler to censor any social media pages.
- Use of profanity/nudity is not allowed on UT Tyler social media accounts.
- Confidential or proprietary university information or similar information of third parties, who have shared such information with you on behalf of UT Tyler, should not be shared publicly on these social media channels.
- Exercise discretion, thoughtfulness and respect for your colleagues, associates and the university’s supporters/community (social media fans).
- A healthy dialogue with constructive criticism can be useful but refrain from engaging in dialogue that could disparage colleagues, competitors or critics.
- Please refrain from reporting, speculating, discussing or giving any opinions on university topics or personalities that could be considered offensive, sensitive, confidential or disparaging including discussing internal policies or operations.
Pages representing UT Tyler inactive after one year are subject to removal from the prospective social media network by the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Your personal social media account is not an appropriate place to distribute university news. If you have university information or news to announce to the public or media, please contact the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Be mindful that all posted content is subject to review in accordance with UT Tyler employee policies and editorial guidelines.
- UT Tyler does not monitor personal websites but will address issues that violate established UT Tyler policies including: HR, IT, editorial, graphic and social media guidelines.
- More information on personal accounts.
UT Tyler's strength is broad! When we work together, we can give our social media content it's maximum punch. That's why you will see @UTTyler retweet other university accounts. Here are some of our most used hashtags:
#UTTyler, #UTTylerPatriots, #TalonsUp, #SwoopSwoop
If you have any questions or need assistance with your social media site, please consult Robin Kelly, campus webmaster. Due to the evolving nature of social media, these policies and guidelines are subject to revision by the Office of Marketing and Communications.