OU Campus Training and Support
Updates to OU Campus:
- Files should be uploaded to the correct folder within your directory such as "files", "documents" and in some cases "syllabi."
- All files (with the exception of syllabi) must be uploaded using a GENERIC file name.
- If you are attempting to upload a file into the correct folder but receive an error message, please contact the Web team for assistance.
- Binary files (PDF, WORD, JPG, etc.) must now be published once uploaded. The newly uploaded file should publish when you upload the file during editing a page, then publish out the page. If you are only uploading a binary file, you should then publish the file after uploading to the staging server.
- PDF/Word documents are to follow the standard naming conventions. Attempting to upload a file incorrectly named (such as spaces) or into the incorrect folder will result in an error message.
- When uploading an updated file ALWAYS replace the existing file. To replace a file, select the "overwrite" button. (If your file currently has the incorrect naming conventions, you will need to update the file with correct naming conventions, delete the old file and correct the link to the new file on your website.) NOTE: Having multiple versions of a document on the server causes issues with duplicate information, and/or outdated information appearing in the search engines.
Uploading and linking to a document
Once you have the file that you wish to upload on your computer you are ready to start.
- In Edit Mode, highlight the words to be used as the hyperlink.
- Click on the "Insert/Edit Hyperlink" button in the toolbar.
- Click the "Browse" button.
- Open the "files" folder. (Attempting to upload a file into the incorrect folder will
result in an error message.)
- Click "Upload", "Add", find your document you wish to link to, select it, then choose
"Open". If the filename is invalid, you will need to rename it. In almost all cases
files must use a generic filename.
To overwrite a file, check the "Overwrite Existing" box.
You can rename a file easily by selecting "Rename".
- Click "Select" File. You are now ready to add the file as a hyperlink to your text.
- Upload. (NOTE: The page must be uploaded to publish the attached files.)
To upload a document already on your site, please see Replacing a Document
To DELETE documents that are no longer used
In some cases, users will need to upload correctly named files, then delete the old file from the server. (NOTE: Always correct the link to the new file if using this option.)
- Select "Content" at the top-left
- Navigate to the folder the file is located in (i.e. the files folder)
- Find the file you wish to delete, select the "Recycle" icon on the right side
To upload several documents at one time
Files uploaded using this technique must be published after upload.
- Navigate to the "files" folder.
- Select "Upload".
- Select " Add Files".
- NOTE: If you are replacing current files, select the checkbox "Overwrite Existing".
- Browser the files you wish to upload, add them to the list.
- Select "Start Upload".
- Once the files are uploaded, they must be published to the server. Mouse over options for each file, select "Publish".
NOTE: When uploading a NEW file, NAME the file with a GENERIC file name: "university_committee.pdf.