UT Tyler Web Publishing Standards
Site Architecture and Naming
Site navigation for each department is typically set up by the UT Tyler Web team. To request changes to site navigation, email email@example.com.
- Use lowercase lettering only. Hyphens are used to separate words. No spaces, capitals or underscores. NOTE: Using spaces or capital letters in naming files could potentially cause issues with your files!
- YES: http://www.uttyler.edu/academics/graduate/business-administration-degree.php
- Do not use parts of words.
- NO: http://www.uttyler.edu/Acad/Grad/Bus_Adm Degr.php
- YES: http://www.uttyler.edu/compliance/committee.php
- NO: http://www.uttyler.edu/compliance/com.php
NOTE: Using correct naming can HELP with search engine placement.
- Ask yourself what kind of information the user expects to find behind a given link. A link label should match the title of the page to which the link leads. For example, when a user clicks on the "campus events" link, they should be directed to a page titled "Campus Events."
IMPORTANT: It is best to work with the UT Tyler Web team before moving a file or directory. Moving content could effect important links on the UT Tyler Web server and search engine optimization.