UT Tyler Web Publishing Standards
Site Architecture and Naming Guidelines
Site navigation for each department including initial page set-up, left-side menu bar and SEO is typically set up and monitored by the UT Tyler Web team. To request assistance with site architecture, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use lowercase lettering only. Hyphens should be used used to separate words. No spaces, capitals or underscores. Users will receive an error when attempting to create a file with capital letters or spaces.
For search engine usage, it is best to use full words, no parts of words. It is best not to repeat a word already in the full URL.
- YES: http://www.uttyler.edu/academics/graduate/business-administration-degree.php
- NO: http://www.uttyler.edu/Acad/Grad/Bus_Adm Degr.php
- YES: http://www.uttyler.edu/compliance/committee.php
- NO: http://www.uttyler.edu/compliance/com.php
- YES: http://www.uttyler.edu/nursing/files/syllabi-policy.pdf
- NO: http://www.uttyler.edu/nursing/Syl Policy 2014draft.pdf
Ask yourself what kind of information the user expects to find behind a given link. A link label should match the title of the page to which the link leads. For example, when a user clicks on the "campus-events" link, they should be directed to a page titled "Campus Events."
- Using these naming conventions will assist Google and other search engines with indexing your pages. The visitor can also navigate easily through the site.
Naming binary files (PDF, Word, etc.)
- Use lowercase letters, hyphens and underscores. No spaces. Users will receive an error when attempting to upload/rename a file with capital letters or spaces.
- Files are to be uploaded into the correct files folder within the department directory. Attempting to upload into the incorrect folder will result in an error message.
- Updated files should REPLACE the current file when at all possible. Any old files no longer linked to pages on the server should be deleted to prevent search engines from indexing old content.
- YES: http://www.uttyler.edu/financialaid/files/application-for-appeal.pdf
- NO: http://www.uttyler.edu/nursing/1002app-appeal.pdf
- NOTE: Old binary files should be deleted from the server in OU Campus.
IMPORTANT: It is best to work with the UT Tyler Web team before moving a file or directory. Moving content could effect important links on the UT Tyler Web server and search engine optimization.