Naming Files, Naming Directories and Site Architecture
UT Tyler Web Publishing Standards
Site navigation for each department including directory structure and page set-up, left-side menu bar and SEO is initially set up and approved by the UT Tyler Web team. This also includes sub-domains. The Web team continues to monitor all new sub-domain and pages.
New content should be built within the department it belongs.
Directory Naming Guidelines
- YES: www.uttyler.edu/department/new-section
- NO: www.uttyler.edu/newsection
To continue a cohesive website structure, top-level domain names are reserved for new departments such as uttyler.edu/pharmacy.
To request assistance with site architecture, email email@example.com.
File Naming Guidelines
For future pages and directories, follow these rules:
- Avoid using acronyms when possible
- No spaces, capitals or underscores, separate words with hyphen
- Use full words, (one, two or three)
- Do not repeat a word already in the full URL
- URL must use lower case
It is NOT necessary to re-name current pages, as this can cause issues Google. Remember, URLs are case sensitive. A webpage cannot be named using upper case letters, and will not display if typed in with upper case letters.
- YES: uttyler.edu/academics/graduate/business-degree.php
- NO: uttyler.edu/Acad/Grad/Bus_Adm Degr.php
- YES: uttyler.edu/compliance/committee.php
- NO: uttyler.edu/compliance/cmte.php
- YES: uttyler.edu/compliance/budget-training.php
- NO: uttyler.edu/compliance/compliancebudgettraining.php
Ask yourself what kind of information the user expects to find behind a given link.
A link label should match the title of the page to which the link leads. For example, when a user clicks on the "campus-events" link, they should be directed to a page titled "Campus Events."
- Always use call-to-action text links. AVOID graphic buttons.
- Using these naming conventions and call-to-action text links will assist Google and other search engines with indexing your pages. The visitor can also navigate easily through your site.
- Please AVOID using graphics or buttons as your only source for a link on a page. (See call-to-action text links.)
IMPORTANT: Please work with the UT Tyler Web team before moving a file or directory. Moving or deleting content could effect important links on the UT Tyler Web server and search engine optimization.