Annamary Consalvo, Ph.D.
Title: Assistant Professor of Literacy
Building: BEP 212D
- Ph.D. The University of Texas at Austin, 2011
Curriculum and Instruction, Language and Literacy Studies
- Dissertation Title: Writing conferences and relationships: Talking, teaching, and learning in high school English classrooms.
Annamary Consalvo is an Assistant Professor of Literacy at The University of Texas at Tyler where she teaches disciplinary literacy, children’s and Young Adult literature, and the teaching of writing.
Her research interests include the study of writing conferences in secondary contexts; disciplinary and adolescent literacy; and ways in which multiliteracies, both digital and material, inform teaching and learning in the 21st century.
Her current projects include a three-year project that delves into the Robert E. Cormier Archive. Opened during Banned Books Week 2015, she and a colleague built an online exhibit about censorship in Cormier’s life and work, and hosted a symposium centering on censorship to mark the exhibit’s opening. Consalvo has been appointed to serve on the National Council of Teachers of English’s Standing Committee on Censorship, 2016-2018.
Recent articles include: “Keeping the Teacher at Arm’s Length: Student Resistance in Writing Conferences in Two High School Classrooms” with Beth Maloch (in Journal of Classroom Interaction, Fall 2015); and “An Examination of the Construct of Legitimate Peripheral Participation as a Theoretical Framework in Literacy Research” with Diane Schallert (in Educational Research Review, Fall 2015).
Courses Recently Taught
At UT Tyler:
- EDFB 4338 - Literacy in the Content Areas
- READ 3330 - Children's Literature
- READ 5304 - Reading and Writing Workshop (online)
- READ 5305 - Teaching Disciplinary Literacy to Adolescents (online)
- READ 5309 - Foundations of Literacy Coaching (online)
At Fitchburg State University:
- ENGL1100 Writing 1; ENGL2900 Children's Literature; ENGL2910 Literature for Young Adults; ENGL2870 Structure and Nature of Language; ENGL2680 Introduction to Secondary School Teaching - English; ENGL4700 Teaching Reading and Writing in Middle and Secondary Schools; ENGL4860/70 Practicum in Secondary Schools; HON4991 Senior Thesis; ENGL7000 Masters Thesis: Action Research; ENGL9027 Issues and Trends in English Education/Literacy
At Plymouth State University for The New Hampshire Writing Project:
- EN5560.01 Writing and New Literacies
At UT Austin:
- EDC339F Adolescent Literacy-UTeach
- EDC670EB Methods of Teaching Language Arts