UT Tyler

The Graduate School

Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the UT Tyler Office of Graduate Studies question and answer section. These are actual questions that came from prospective students like you. We hope you find our FAQs helpful and informative. Select one of the categories below to read the Q&A on each topic.

Where do I send my application materials?

All applications are completed online at uttyler.edu/graduate. Domestic students should have transcripts sent directly to UT Tyler from their previous institutions, and test scores should be sent from the testing organization. All admission materials should be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Recommendation letters, resumes, and other documents (excluding official scores and official transcripts) can be emailed to OGS@uttyler.edu.

International students should send their materials to:

Brittani Keith
Office of Graduate Admissions ADM 345
University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler TX 75799

Domestic students should send their materials to:

Office of Graduate Admissions ADM 345
University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler TX 75799

I will graduate at the end of this semester, but I want to apply now so I can begin my master’s program next semester; can I still be admitted even if I haven't graduated?

Yes – if you meet the other requirements you can be granted Provisional Admission. We will need a copy of your current transcript and, for non-UT Tyler students, a letter from your college/university stating your anticipated graduation date.

Who is my advisor?

You can find your advisor's contact information by visiting the Graduate Programs page.

What documents do I need to submit with my application?

Domestic: An official transcript showing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Official copies should be sent directly from your previous institution to UT Tyler. UT Tyler transcripts are available to the Registrar's Office and need not be forwarded by the applicant.

You do not need to submit community or junior college transcripts unless you are applying to English, Electrical Engineering, MBA, or Post-Baccalaureate certifications. If you are applying to one of those programs, please send junior/community college transcripts directly to the department.

We prefer that official copies be sent directly to us from your previous institution. If you are mailing official copies to us, the address is:

Office of Graduate Admissions ADM 345
University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler TX 75799

International: Official transcript showing a four-year baccalaureate degree or its U.S. equivalent from an accredited institution of higher learning and official transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions, TOEFL scores, entrance exams scores (GRE or GMAT for MBA), and evidence of financial support (Affidavit of Support) to

Brittani Keith
Office of Graduate Admissions ADM 345
University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler TX 75799

For details and a list of forms visit the International Students page.

Doctoral applicants: Official transcripts showing a baccalaureate and a master's degree from regionally accredited institutions. With the application, you will submit official GRE scores and official transcripts of all university level work. You do not need to submit community or junior college transcripts. UT Tyler transcripts are available to the Registrar's Office and need not be forwarded by the applicant. Details.

Principal and Superintendent Certification applicants: Official transcripts showing a baccalaureate and a master's degree from regionally accredited institutions. You do not need to submit community or junior college transcripts.

How much does it cost to apply?

$40 for domestic students; $75 for international students. The fee is non-refundable and must be paid before your application will be processed. Credit card payments must be made at the time of application by Visa or MasterCard only.

How can I check the status of my application? What is the application process timeline? Did you receive my documents?

When you apply online at uttyler.edu/graduate, you will receive an application receipt confirmation number. This is your confirmation that your application has been sent to UT Tyler.

In approximately 2-3 days, you will receive an email from UT Tyler's Graduate Admissions department with your user name and login information. You can check your status online using your myUTTyler identification number. Refer to the email you received for instructions, or contact ogs@uttyler.edu

To check your status and review any outstanding tasks or documentation, follow the link in the email or visit myuttyler.

  • In the Sign On box, enter your 10-digit user id, your password and hit enter. These must be entered exactly as they appeared in the email Graduate Admissions sent you (case sensitive).
  • In the Enterprise Menu box (upper left-hand corner), select System Access. (If you do not see this option, select Return to Portal)
  • In the System Access box, select Student Center.
  • The To Do List on the right of the screen shows you all the remaining tasks you must complete.

Until all your materials have been received AND entered into the system, your application will remain in 'applicant' status. Keep in mind that it takes a while for your requested materials (transcripts, scores, etc.) to arrive. The Graduate Admissions Office does not send a confirmation for each document it receives; however, you are able to view the items which have not arrived in your Student Center To Do List online in myUTTyler

Once all your materials arrive and are in the system, the Graduate Admissions department will alert the academic department that your materials are ready for evaluation. After their evaluation, they will accept or deny admission, and you will receive email notification of their decision within 24 hours.

Once all your materials arrive and are in the system, the Graduate Admissions department will alert the academic department that your materials are ready for evaluation. After their evaluation, they will accept or deny admission, and you will be able to view your accepted status immediately.

Applicants who are denied will receive an email notification within 24 hours of the decision (in cases with invalid emails, a hard copy will be sent to the physical address on the application). Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applicants the admission reviewers cannot provide feedback regarding individual applicants or the reason for unsuccessful applications. Should you decide to apply to another program or take graduate courses as a non-degree seeking student, you must update your application by contacting The Office of Graduate Admissions at 903-566-7457 or ogs@uttyler.edu

Each department has a different timeline – some must evaluate many candidates, which means a longer wait for a decision on your status. The major hold up is getting transcripts in from previous institutions – once we have your information, the Graduate Admissions office will process it within 5 business days, excluding holidays.

I’ve been accepted to one program, but I want to change to another program – how do I do that?

To change to another program you must have the approval of the program advisor in the old and new programs. Your new program may require additional information such as letters of recommendation, essay, new application, new scores, etc. There is no guarantee that you will be admitted to the new program, or that courses you have completed will transfer. Contact an advisor in the new program before making a decision to change your program.

Then access and print the Change of Program form. The form requires signatures from you, your previous advisor, and your new advisor. The new advisor will submit the signed form to the Graduate Admissions office.

What’s the difference between Provisional and Conditional Admission?

Provisional admission means you have to “provide” something that is required by the university (not the program / department) for admission. For example, the university requires that you provide official transcripts showing a baccalaureate degree and that you take the GRE (GMAT for MBA). Provisional admission only lasts one semester – you must “provide” us with what’s missing by the end of that semester, regardless of the number of hours you take. Students who do not maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 during the semester in which they are provisionally admitted will be denied admission to the program to which they applied

Conditional admission refers to a “condition of admission” that is set by the program / department (not the university); for example, while the university requires the GRE, the department requires a certain score on the GRE as a “condition of admission” to that program. A condition of admission to a particular program may be a certain GPA, or that specific courses are taken and a minimum grade is earned in those courses. Conditional admission can last up to 9 hours; it’s not based on number of semesters. Remember, provisional = university requirements; conditional = program / department requirements. Students on conditional admission who do not maintain a 3.0 GPA will not be allowed to continue in the program.

Provisionally/conditionally admitted graduate degree-seeking students are eligible for financial aid. All graduate non-degree seeking students are ineligible for financial aid.

What classes are being offered this/next semester?

To view/search the schedule of classes, go to my.uttyler.edu. Select the Search/Browse Catalog link on the left side of the page under Enterprise Menu, then select Class Search under Search/Browse Catalog. You do not need a user name to search classes.

When is the deadline to apply?

The university deadlines are listed on the Calendar - please note that some programs have earlier deadlines. All required documents must arrive by the deadline date. These are priority deadlines, which means competed applications with all official supporting documents received by this date will be processed for the desired semester. We will continue to accept applications past the deadlines, but cannot guarantee that they will be processed for your desired semester of entry.

What kind of financial aid can I get? Am I eligible?

Fully admitted students and provisionally/conditionally admitted graduate degree-seeking students are eligible for financial aid.

All non-degree seeking students (undergraduate or graduate) are ineligible for financial aid. Graduate post-baccalaureate and certification-only students are also ineligible for financial aid.

The New Graduate Student Fellowship $1000 Awards are available for domestic and international, in-state and non-Texas residents. With this award, non-Texas residents also qualify for in-state tuition during their first year of graduate study.

Visit the financial aid section of our website for contact information and to find out more about the financial aid opportunities for graduate students.

Another good place to look is our External Funding site

How many hours do I have to take to be considered a full time graduate student?

The minimum credit hour load to be considered a full-time graduate student is nine semester hours of graduate-level courses during a fall or spring semester or six hours during a regular summer session. The maximum credit hour load permitted is 12 hours during a fall or spring semester, six hours during a regular summer session and three hours during intersession

How do I check my grades in myUTTyler?

Checking Grades Online

What is the Graduate Assistantship policy?

Students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in order to retain their assistantships. Students who fail to maintain academic good standing will become ineligible for a graduate assistantship and any out-of-state tuition waiver in the next semester. Some departments may require a higher grade point average.

Students may accept more than one graduate assistantship with the approval of their major department as long as the total appointment does not exceed 19.5 hours per week and the total stipend does not exceed university guidelines.

Graduate assistantships can be awarded only to full-time registered graduate students. If a student drops below a full load during the semester, the assistantship will be terminated.


a. Students who are completing their thesis or dissertation and are enrolled only for the minimum number of hours required for the thesis or dissertation.

b. A doctoral student preparing for preliminary examinations (requires approval by Graduate School Dean)

  • Graduate Assistant (GA) The student performs duties outside of (or within) their academic department. No tuition remission is attached to the GA appointment. They are limited to 19.5 hours per week. Numbers 5-7 below under General Requirements also apply to GA’s.
  • Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA): The student performs departmental or interdepartmental research related to the student’s field of study. A GRA is classified as exempt from the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is paid on a salaried basis for up to 20 hours per week, not including time spent on coursework or personal research.
  • Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA): The student may assist a faculty member in grading undergraduate homework and quizzes, instruction in the classroom and laboratory, preparing apparatus or material for demonstrations, leading discussion or tutoring sessions, and posting web-based materials. A GTA with the proper credentials (See, Handbook of Operating Procedures, Sec. 3.021) may also be the instructor of record for a course or laboratory. A GTA is usually held in the student’s major field or a closely related field. A GTA is classified as exempt from the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is paid on a salaried basis for up to 20 hours per week.

A GTA or GRA must have the permission of their degree program to hold an assistantship.

A GTA or GRA may be held only by students who have been fully admitted to a degree program. Non-degree seeking students or provisional/conditional students cannot hold a GTA/GRA.

A GTA or GRA must begin on or before the official census date of the semester (12th day for fall and spring, 4th day for Summers I &I, 9th day for Long Summer)

Continuing GTAs and GRAs may be appointed in the summer without minimum registration, provided they were registered for and completed the previous spring semester. A graduate program may require a minimum summer enrollment.

How do I file for graduation? What is the deadline?

Please visit the Registrar site for information on graduation policies and procedures: The graduation application deadline is strictly enforced, so be sure you don't miss it!

Do I have to take the GRE and/or GMAT to be admitted to a program?

For FULL admission, you will need either the GRE, MAT (for History), GMAT (for MBA), depending on program requirements (ask an advisor to be sure which you'll need). However, you can be granted provisional admission and go to school for one semester before you complete your GRE/MAT/GMAT.

UT Tyler does not offer the GRE; however, in Tyler, you can contact Prometric Testing Center for information on their testing schedule by calling: (903) 561-5983 or (903)595-0652 or visiting http://www.prometric.com/ Register for your tests early; spaces fill up quickly. Plan to take the tests at the beginning of the summer before you apply to graduate school. This way, you will have time to retake any tests.

My GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/other test score is not as high as it should be – should I still apply?

In most cases, the departments will evaluate ALL your application materials, rather than focusing solely on test scores, so don’t let a single score discourage you from applying. They don't post a minimum because they evaluate so many variables. A high GPA might offset a low GRE, for example.

In addition to program admission requirements, consideration for admission is also given to one or more of the following: the applicant’s demonstrated commitment to his or her chosen field of study, socioeconomic background, multilingual proficiency, geographic region of residence, first generation of family to graduate from an undergraduate program, and involvement and level of responsibility in other matters including extracurricular activities, employment, community service, or family responsibility of raising children.

How long will it take for my GRE scores to arrive?

The time it takes for scores to reach us depends on whether you took a paper and pencil test or a computer based test. The computer based tests are usually a two week processing time from the test date. The paper and pencil is close to five weeks. GRE reports are processed each Tuesday and Thursday evening, with scores going out each Wednesday and Friday. If someone asks for a score on Friday, it would be in the next run that goes out on Wednesday.

Additional score reports are mailed within 5 business days of a web or phone-based request; within 10 business days of a mailed or faxed request.

Use Institutional Code 6850 to request the GRE score report to be sent to UT Tyler. Do not send copies of scores; only official scores from the testing agencies are accepted.

Tips for Taking GMAT and GRE

What are the rules for Human Subject Research?

Please be aware that any research in which a faculty member or student participates that involves human subjects MUST be approved BEFORE any recruitment of participants or data collection can be done.

We are accountable to the Federal Office of Human Research Protections for enforcing this policy, and can be at risk for having all research discontinued at UT Tyler for breaches of this policy.

Even if you feel that your research may be "exempt", it must still be reviewed by the IRB prior to initiating recruitment of participants.

Contact Dr. Gloria Duke, Chair of the IRB, (gduke@uttyler.edu) any time you have any questions about IRB procedures, or if you are not sure what type of review you need, or if you are not sure what you are doing is "research."

Will I need recommendation letters? If so, where do I send them?

Some programs do not require any letters; others require up to three recommendation letters, and may require additional information as well. It’s best to check with the program advisor to see what is required, and where to send it. You can find contact info and addresses by clicking on the program name on the Graduate Programs page.

The Office of Graduate Admissions does not require any letters – you will only need recommendation letters if it’s a program requirement.

Recommendation letters should address your potential as a graduate student. In particular, they should stress the following:

• Your intellectual development through college/on the job
• Aptitude for independent thinking and research
• Critical thinking abilities and writing skills
• Leadership or creative qualities

The letters should persuade the committee that you’d be a valuable asset to the program by giving them specific examples of your past performance. Here’s a good resource on how to get great recommendation letters for graduate school

I lost/forgot my username/password/login information that was in the email I received from graduate admissions - who do I contact?

If you have lost or forgotten your username/password, contact ogs@uttyler.edu and they will resend the email. Usernames and passwords cannot be provided over the phone.

My transcripts are missing! I requested transcripts from my previous institution, but my myUTTyler page says they are still missing (has an initiated status). Why aren't they showing up?

Before you panic, remember that just because you submitted a transcript request doesn't mean it was sent immediately. First - contact the sending institution to find out WHEN it was sent and to WHAT department. All transcripts should be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions ADM 345; sending them to the department first delays posting time.

The time-to-posting is under two weeks from the time they receive the transcript, barring any issues with the transcripts. Problems that prevent a transcript from posting include: unreadability (poor copy), different names, no birth date or Social Security number, incomplete transcripts, etc.

If you find out that the sending institution sent it over two weeks ago, contact ogs@uttyler.edu and be ready to answer these questions:

When and where was it sent?
Could it be under another name?
What school is it from?
Was there a Social Security number on it?

If you send unofficial copies, the transcript will remain on your to-do list until the official copy is received. No community or junior college transcripts are required for programs other than English, Electrical Engineering, MBA, and Post-Baccalaureate certifications. If you are applying to one of those programs, please send junior/community college transcripts directly to the department.

Is the MSN-MBA online? Will I need the GRE or GMAT?

The MSN-MBA is offered completely online. You may take the GMAT or the GRE. The program begins with nursing courses, so if you have questions about those, please contact the MSN program advisor. If you have questions about the business component of the degree, please contact the MBA advisor. Find their contact information on the Graduate Programs page by selecting the corresponding program. You will complete two separate applications and pay two separate application fees; one for the MSN and one for the MBA.

I want 18 graduate hours in a subject, but don’t want a degree. Can I take more than 9 graduate hours as a non-degree-seeking student; that is, without being accepted into a program?

Typically, non-degree seeking students may only complete a maximum of 9 hrs of graduate-level work unless they have special permission from The Graduate School.

No more than 9 hours earned as a non-degree seeking student may transfer to a master's or graduate certificate program, so non-degree seeking status should not be used by students whose real goal is to enter a master's or certificate program.

See how to apply for non-degree seeking status on the Non-Degree Seeking Admissions Page

Online programs and certifications


Is there a limit to the number of undergraduate courses I can take as a graduate post-baccalaureate student?

No. Students who have an earned baccalaureate degree and wish to take additional undergraduate classes only, but not pursue a second baccalaureate degree, are not limited in the number of hours of undergraduate work they may complete. Post-baccalaureate non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid or scholarships.

How to apply for post-baccalaureate status.

Visit the Registrar's site for tutorials.

Visit the Graduate Financial Support section for scholarship info.

Where can I find tips on writing a Statement of Purpose?

This page includes five easy steps for writing a Statement of Purpose.

Are course syllabi listed somewhere online so I can look at what's covered in a particular class?

Visit the syllabi section online.

Find graduate assistantship in the Graduate Financial Support section.

Find tuition information in the online catalog.

I'm a graduate student, but I also want to take some undergraduate classes. Can I do that?

Sure - all you need to do is let your advisor know, so s/he can contact the Enrollment Services Center to set you up that way in myUTTyler.

I forgot my username; what do I do?

Just enter your ID number in the user name lookup on the Patriots email page and it will provide you with your username.

If you need your myUTTyler username and password emailed, you can contact The Office of Graduate Admissions at ogs@uttyler.edu or 903.566.7457.

Who is exempt from the Bacterial Meningitis vaccination?

Automatic exemptions apply to students who are 22 years of age or older and students taking only online or other distance education classes. The full academic program must be offered online to qualify.

How recent must the immunization be?

The documentation must show proof of an initial meningococcal vaccination or a booster dose during the five-year period before enrolling.

I have a hold for the Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine, but I'm only taking online courses. How can I get the hold removed?

Contact ogs@uttyler.edu to have the hold released. We will need an email from your Patriots email account (or the email account you provided on your application), including your student ID number, stating:

"I have read and understand the Bacterial Meningitis Policy. I am not currently enrolled in any on-campus classes, and I understand that if I do enroll in any on-campus classes I must submit documentation of immunization from an appropriate medical professional 10 days prior to the first class meeting. Failure to provide documentation will cause delays in the registration process."

I'm an undergraduate but I want to get started on my graduate degree. Can I take graduate classes as an undergraduate student?

Students must be within 12 hours of graduation to take graduate level classes and are limited to a maximum of 6 graduate hours. All you need to do is get your advisor to sign a registration form and submit it to the Enrollment Services Center and they will manually enroll you in the graduate courses. You do not need to apply to graduate school to take these 6 graduate hours.

The graduate courses cannot satisfy undergraduate requirements, but will count toward a graduate degree. This is an incentive to start graduate school - you will pay undergraduate tuition for these 2 graduate classes!

One important consideration: if you graduate with 6 graduate hours and are admitted provisionally to the graduate program, you can only take one more graduate class the following semester (you must be fully admitted to take more than 9 graduate hours). You must be enrolled full-time to get financial aid.

Since most students who want to start early are good students, they will probably have taken the GRE before the next semester starts. Remember, unless you submit satisfactory GRE scores and any other documents required for full admission, you will be limited to one graduate class and will not qualify for financial aid.

How do I log in to Blackboard/find my course and syllabus/check my grades, etc.?

You can view short video clips that show you everything you need to know about Blackboard from logging in to checking your grades! The videos are on the UT Tyler Graduate School YouTube Favorites list.

The myUTTyler log in ID and password I was emailed don't work!

When you copy/paste the ID and password, sometimes an extra space is added at the end, which causes the login to fail. Please try it again, watching for those extra spaces! You can copy all but the last digit, then manually type that in to ensure no extra spaces are in the field.

UT Tyler