The Graduate School
It is expected that all recipients will be in good academic standing as well as be in good standing with UT Tyler Judicial Affairs and The Graduate School at time of the award. Recipients will be expected to maintain good standing with all above mentioned offices during their time at UT Tyler.
Domestic graduate students that have been fully, provisionally, or conditionally admitted into a degree-seeking program may be eligible for financial aid. Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree, Graduate Non-Degree, and Certification students are ineligible for financial aid.
Those accepted into financial aid eligible programs are encouraged to complete a Federal Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA). The Office of Financial Aid has more information about this application, including deadlines.
Application Fee Waiver
The Graduate School currently only offers graduate application fee waivers to active US military personnel, current UT Tyler employees, and McNair Scholars. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details before submitting your application.
Next Step Grant
Beginning with Fall 2017 admissions, The Graduate School at The University of Texas at Tyler is offering the Graduate School Next Step Grant to qualifying students. Recipients of this grant may be eligible for up to two years of full tuition based on availability of funding and continued eligibility.
- Must be a Texas resident with financial need as determined by FAFSA or TASFA.
- Must be attending 6-9 hours per fall and spring semester.
- Must maintain good academic standing.
- Please contact email@example.com for program eligibility. Executive and Accelerated programs are not eligible.
New Graduate Fellowship
**Students who plagiarized any part of their scholarship application essay are ineligible to receive any financial support from UT Tyler for the remainder of their study. This includes, but is not limited to, all renditions of the New Graduate Fellowship and the College Scholarships for Returning Students. We hold our students to a very high standard in regard to academic integrity and maintain a zero-tolerance policy on plagiarism. NGF recipients who violate the UT Tyler Honor Code (which includes violations of F-1 status) will have their NGF revoked.
Please read the information below, then APPLY HERE
Application deadlines can be found on our Graduate School Calendar.
The New Graduate Fellowship is a $1,000 award available to domestic and international, Texas and non-Texas residents. With this award, non-Texas residents also qualify for in-state tuition during their first academic year of graduate study only. The academic year begins each fall and ends the following summer. The $1,000 is awarded in $500 increments in each fall and spring semester. You must be enrolled in each semester to receive the full award. No awards are made in the summer.
- Be accepted into a graduate, degree-seeking program.
- Be in your first semester of graduate school at UT Tyler.
- Enroll full-time. (Nine credit hours for the semester awarded. No awards will be made for semesters in which the student is not enrolled full-time.)
- Meet or exceed at least one of the following criteria:
- Final undergraduate GPA of at least 3.25
- Final GPA of at least 3.25 on a prior master’s degree (official transcript required for verification)
- Combined GRE score of 307
- Total GMAT score of 500
- Total MAT score of 410
*Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee an award.
Students in programs with discounted tuition (education, school counseling and educational leadership) or those in executive or seven-week session programs are not eligible for the NGF.
Important Notes for International Students: Those with foreign transcripts who wish to be considered for the award based on their GPA must submit an international transcript evaluation. Even if it is not required for admission, it is required if you want to be considered for the New Graduate Fellowship. The evaluation fee will be reimbursed (up to $200) after enrollment. Click this link to see how much money the New Graduate Fellowship can save you, even with the evaluation cost!
Important Notes for ALL Students: You must be admitted to your program BEFORE you apply for this award; applications for those who have not yet been admitted will be deleted. Be sure to complete all fields on the application; incomplete applications or those missing an essay will not be considered. All students, awarded and denied, will be notified via their Patriots Email.
A Second Chance for the New Graduate Fellowship
If funding allows, the Graduate School may award limited Second Chance NGF awards. The “Second Chance NGF” is an extension of the New Graduate Fellowship that is intended to assist students that were originally ineligible for the New Graduate Fellowship during their first semester. Eligible students may include but are not limited to, those previously denied because of GPA or test score ineligibility, those who began during the summer, missed the deadline, and/or those who did not originally apply for the NGF. Please note that if you were previously denied the NGF for concerns of plagiarism, you are not eligible for this award. The Second Chance NGF is also $1,000 and grants in-state tuition to out-of-state or foreign residents for the academic year.
- You must have just completed your first semester of a graduate, degree-seeking program at UT Tyler.
- Be enrolled full-time. (Nine credit hours for the semester awarded. No awards will be made for semesters in which the student is not enrolled full-time.)
- Meet or exceed a first-semester GPA of 3.25.
*Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee an award.
The application for this award will be made available on this webpage the day after grades are posted each semester. Please check back once grades are posted to complete the application! Again, incomplete applications or those missing an essay will not be considered. All students, awarded and denied, will be notified via their Patriots Email.
New Graduate Fellowship Renewal
Depending on available funding, the Graduate School may offer a renewal of your New Graduate Fellowship (this includes both the traditional award and the Second Chance award).
- Received the New Graduate Fellowship in your first semester or Second Chance NGF in your second semester.
- Be enrolled full-time (Nine credit hours for the semester awarded. No awards will be made for semesters in which the student is not enrolled full-time. If you are graduating and will not be enrolled full-time, you may submit a scholarship appeal.)
- Meet or exceed a UT Tyler GPA of 3.25 so far.
There is no application for a renewal of your New Graduate Fellowship. If the Graduate School has available funds, a list of past recipients and current GPAs will be consulted to make those awards. Renewal recipients will be notified via their Patriots email.
Returning UT Tyler Graduate Students
UT Tyler has college scholarship opportunities available for students who have attended for at least one year and have earned a UT Tyler GPA. These awards are managed by the Enrollment Services Center, and you can find more information on their website.
The Veteran’s Resource Center can assist with understanding and processing military benefits.