The Graduate School
Fully admitted students and provisionally/conditionally admitted graduate degree-seeking students are eligible for financial aid. Students who submit completed application packets containing all required documents will receive priority consideration for fellowship decision making.
All non-degree seeking students (undergraduate or graduate) are ineligible for financial aid. Graduate post-baccalaureate and certification-only students are also ineligible for financial aid.
The New Graduate Student Fellowship $1000 Awards are available for domestic and international, Texas and non-Texas residents. With this award, non-Texas residents also qualify for in-state tuition during their first year of graduate study only.
PLEASE NOTE: After you have submitted your graduate school application, you may apply for the New Graduate Fellowship. You may apply for the fellowship prior to gaining admission.
New Graduate Fellowship Application
Apply for Fall 2014 before May 1
Applications with no Student ID will be deleted
- You must be admitted to a program BEFORE you apply.
- Fellowship applications from non-admitted students will be deleted, as will applications that are received after the deadline.
- Applications without an essay will not be considered.
- The Fall application deadline is May 1; Spring deadline is Nov 1.
Award Amount: up to $1,000 per year
- Be accepted to a degree-seeking program by May 1/Nov 1
- Be in your first semester of graduate school at UT Tyler
- New graduate students must have a 3.25 GPA on the last 60 hours of their undergraduate coursework.
- Enroll full-time (9 credit hours for the semester awarded)
*Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee an award. If you are not admitted to a program by May 1/Nov 1 you will not qualify for the award
- The New Graduate Fellowships only cover the first year. Second year students should speak with their advisor about the possibility of an assistantship, visit Career Services to look for on-campus work, or apply for other scholarships here: http://www.uttyler.edu/financialaid/scholarships/index.php
- Only first year, full-time students are eligible for this particular scholarship, and may only apply for their semester of entry.
- Be sure to complete all fields on the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- We receive hundreds of applications, so be sure your paragraph explaining why you deserve the scholarship really stands out from the crowd!
- You may be eligible for other scholarships, so we encourage you submit an application for other awards here: http://www.uttyler.edu/financialaid/scholarships/index.php
- Visit the financial aid website for contact information and to find out more about the financial aid opportunities for graduate students and be sure to visit our External Funding site. Another good resource for International Students is Financial Assistance for U.S. Study [MS Word, 90K], which provides information and links for possible sources of funding. Visit the USNEI site for even more information.
NOTE: Students who receive the Educational Leadership Scholarship are not eligible for the Teachers In Excellence Scholarship.
UT Tyler subscribes to Pivot, a grant search system that is available to all UT Tyler faculty, staff, and graduate students. To create your account (with your UT Tyler email address) visit Pivot and click the Sign Up link in the top right corner.
Pivot is an unmatched tool that:
- Provides access to the most comprehensive source of funding opportunities globally
- Identifies researcher expertise from within or outside of your organization
- Enhances communication, monitoring, and tracking amongst individual faculty, teams, or researchers and the Research Development office
- Allows the focus to be on winning the necessary awards and grants
- Enables you to add internal deadlines to critical funding opportunities and sends weekly updates on saved searches you organize in your own folders
- Create groups for sharing funding opportunities on an ongoing basis
With a personalized experience through your own profile, Pivot pinpoints funding opportunities with searches that are
- Accurate: Updated daily to add new information drawn from sources linked to profiles in publications from vetted sources and web content associated with a scholar's profile, and to drop out expired opportunities.
- Automated: Users can receive alerts whenever new matching opportunities are posted that match their saved searches.
- Focused: Search just one database for funding in any discipline and country, rather than multiple sources or scattershot across the internet.
Looking for an internship or post-graduate position? To access Going Global, log in through Career Services. Corporate profiles and more than 600,000 world-wide internship and job listings are also included. This system can be searched by location, job title, occupation, employer, or by wage. Review the PowerPoint on how to use Going Global to find your next job! Access is free to all UT Tyler students, faculty and staff.
Watch this Financial Aid Webinar about the federal Income Based Repayment (IBR), Pay as You Earn (PAYE) and Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (FPSLF) -- the admissions and financial aid version. Understanding New Loan Options for Careers in Public Service