Office of Human Resources
This checklist is designed to help you through some of the important steps in planning for retirement. As you make the transition to retirement, we recommend that you do the following to avoid a gap in your benefits:
UT Retiree Insurance Enrollment
Your insurance will not automatically continue when you retire. You must complete and submit forms to the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC) no later than 31 days after your retirement date. For more information, see the Retiree Insurance page.
- Complete the secure online beneficiary designation form for your UT Group Term Life Benefits, by logging in to My UT Benefits(EID and password required).
Turn Unused Annual Leave Into Retirement Savings
- You may defer any portion (up to your maximum annual contribution limit) of your unused annual leave (vacation) and floating holiday to a UTSaver DCP 457(b). No federal income tax will be withheld from the amount deferred, only Medicare and Social Security taxes. To participate, submit a Purchase/Change Agreement form to the HRSC before your last day of employment.
- If you do not elect the deferral, you will be paid for your unused annual leave and floating holiday. If you are an ORP participant considering returning to work after retirement, you must have a one day break in service in order to receive the payment.
Contact the SSA about three months before the date you want your benefits to start. Apply online at SSA, visit visit any Social Security office or phone 800-772-1213.
TRS Retirement (For TRS Members Only)
- Contact TRSsix months prior to retirement (preferred) to allow sufficient time for completion of TRS required forms. Call theTRS Telephone Counseling Center at 512-542-6400.
ORP Retirement (For ORP Participants Only)
Contact your ORP provider or financial advisor three months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations. Review the list of current Approved Providers for contact information.
Contact the HRSC just prior to your retirement date to request a Vesting/Termination Status Form be sent to your ORP provider(s) after your last paycheck is issued.
UTSaver Program (Prior or Current Participants Only)
- Participants of the UTSaver TSA 403(b) and UTSaver DCP 457(b) programs should contact their provider or financial advisor at least three months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations. Review the list of current Approved Providers for contact information.
- Cancel current UTSaver participation as of the first of the month following employment separation in the UTRetirement Manager system.
Sick Leave Pool Donation