Master of Science in Mathematics
The UT Tyler mathematics MS degree program provides a graduate level education for students who intend to teach at various levels; continue or seek employment within the industrial sector; or continue their education beyond the master’s level at other institutions.
In addition to the general requirements for admission to graduate study, requirements for admission to the mathematics program are as follows:
- A satisfactory score on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- A satisfactory grade point average on all prior advanced level (junior, senior and graduate) work taken.
- A proficiency in the use of the English language. If a student’s verbal score on the General Test of the GRE is below an acceptable minimum, the student must pass an English proficiency test.
- The equivalent of an undergraduate degree in mathematics at this institution must meet deficiencies before final admission is granted.
Students who do not have satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination may be admitted under the condition they obtain a grade of "B" or higher in a prescribed set of graduate courses approved by the department.
Consideration is also given to one or more of the following: the applicant's demonstrated commitment to his or her chosen field of study, socioeconomic background, first generation college graduate, multilingual proficiency, geographic region of residence and level of responsibility in other matters including extracurricular activities, employment, community service and family responsibilities.
Each candidate for the degree must complete:
- A minimum of 36 semester hours of graduate credit which may include a research project or thesis.
- A core curriculum of MATH 5331, MATH 5341, MATH 5351 and MATH 5381.
- At least two of the following: MATH 5333, MATH 5343, MATH 5352, MATH 5383.
Candidates for the master’s degree in mathematics must also meet the following requirements:
- A cumulative 3.0 grade point average on all course work.
- Only grades of “B” or better can be applied towards the degree.
- Satisfactory performance on a final comprehensive examination covering those core courses and either the thesis, project or an additional area within the students program, selected by the student in conjunction with the graduate advisor.
- Graduate Course Descriptions
- Master's Exam Syllabi
- More Information About Mathematics MS Degree
- Graduate Teaching Assistantships
- Graduate Scholarship Opportunities
- Apply Now
- Request More Information