- Complete all the required coursework with at least a cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
- Thesis students must submit a standard master's quality thesis acceptable to a three-person committee, which shall include at least two faculty in that discipline including the chair of the thesis.
More information about the thesis option (including guidelines) is available on the UT Tyler web Graduate site.
- Thesis students will also give an oral defense of their thesis to faculty and students.
- Political Science students must demonstrate competence in a methodological skill, normally including (a) reading ability in a foreign language, or (b) advanced research and analytical techniques.
- Non thesis students must obtain a satisfactory performance on a final comprehensive examination. Students should notify the graduate advisor of intent to take comprehensive examinations at or before the beginning of the semester in which they intend to take them.
Degree requirements for graduate programs at UT Tyler must be completed within a six-year period. This time period begins with the enrollment of the first course that applies to the degree including graduate credit transferred from another institution.