OU Campus Training and Support
Creating a New Page
Users with permissions can create a new page. The new page contains all the necessary files to make pages within the existing directory.
To Create a New Page
- Navigate to the directory where the new page will be created by selecting Content > Pages from the global navigation bar.
- Click the New button from within the folder structure, or use the drop-down menu.
From the drop-down, select "New Web Folder" to create a standard two-column template.
3. Fill out each field carefully
NOTE: It is VERY important that correct Meta Data is included for each page. "Page Title" Keywords and Description. Also, both "Header tagss "H1 and H2" muste be completed.
4. When naming the page, leave ".pcf and replace "untitled" with the correct page name.
All pages should be named with lowercase letters, using hyphens to separate words.
Example: "academic-advising.pcf". Use keywords for page titles.
5. Select "Create", allow enough time for the page to create.
Default Page Title will be the title that shows up on the very top of the browser, in the bookmarks and when users search the page. This is very important information for search engines.
Examples of a good page titles:
The University of Texas at Tyler | Admissions | College Admission Requirements
The University of Texas at Tyler | Parent Resources UT Tyler TX | Parents | FAQs
Heading and Subheading (H1) (H2)
These are the top titles that show up on the page
The first title heading should be either the title of the department or sub section of the page.
The subheading describes the information on the page.
Keywords: Entire up to 300 keywords describing the content on the page. Each page MUST have unique keyword data.
Description. Write a description of the content on the page
Information about housing options at The University of Texas at Tyler, including: residence halls/dormitories, meal plans, safety and security, locations of housing, cost of housing, and more.
Enter the content for the page. The content can be edited once the page is built.
5. New Page Name: place the pointer in FRONT of .pcf. The name should be a complete word or words. NO capital letters, NO spaces, NO characters! ALL small letters. Dashes are ok.
(IMPORTANT: Page names MUST be named with all small letters, no spaces. Dashes are permitted.)
Acess Group: Keep access group as-is to allow users from your department group to access to update the page.
Select "Create". Allow enough time for the page to create.
NOTE: Do not skip adding appropriate Meta Data (Title, Keywords, Description.) Doing so can result in bad Search Engine Optimization for your new page.
6. Once you see the new .pcf file, you are ready to edit
When creating new pages, email firstname.lastname@example.org with directory and page name. The Web team will set the image rotator to your department rotator.
- It is very important NOT to paste content from WORD documents if you are not familiar with cleaning up code.
- If your page has several areas with sections not properly following the guidelines, use the "Remove Formatting" button to remove the code. Then, re-add the links and header tags.
- Always email email@example.com once a new page is created. The web team will edit the path for the rotating image to point to the correct directory. If you do not want a rotating image to appear on the page, include this in your email.
For more details, see Creating New Page documentation.