UT Tyler School of Education
Students should apply for admission to the School of Education (SOE) during the semester in which they will complete all the professional education coursework in Phase I or Block 1.
NOTE: Online School of Education Admission Application is ONLY accepted during the fall and spring. If you will be eligible for admission in the summer, you should submit your Admission Packet during the spring term.
- Attend School of Education Admission orientation session. (Phase I and Block 1 instructors will inform students when this will be held. This typically occurs during the first six weeks of the fall and spring semester.)
- Attend group advising on Thursday, September 28 at 11:15 am in BEP 213 prior to submitting your School of education application to make sure you meet the admission requirements.
- Complete an Admission Screening Survey prior to application submission to the School of Education.
- For Secondary candidates that are minoring in education and All-Level candidates only: You are required to submit a copy of your signed degree plan from your academic advisor in your major. If you do not have this yet, get it before completing the admission application.
- Pay $125 for admission to the School of Education. This fee is paid in the Cashier's Office (Enrollment Services Center, ADM 230). At the end of the application form, you will be required to upload a copy of your receipt for the SOE Admission Fee. This fee pays for a small part of your supervision in field throughout your education program.
- Provide evidence of satisfactory scores on one of these acceptable basic skills tests.
Test scores need to be uploaded to the Online School of Education Admission Application.
Tests need to be taken within the last five years.
- TSI Scores:
Reading and Writing - A College Readiness Score (CRC) of 945 with an essay of at least 5; OR a CRC score below 945 and a diagnostic level of 5 or 6 with an essay of at least 5.
Mathematics - A College Reading Score (CRC) of 950; OR CRC score below 950 with a diagnostic level of 6.
ACT Composite score of 23 with minimum of 19 on the Verbal (reading) or Math score.
SAT (After March 5, 2016)
- Math Score: 530
- Reading and Writing: 480
- SAT (Before March 5, 2016)
Math Score: If the student has a combined (Reading/Verbal/Math) score of 1070 with a minimum score of 500 on Math, the student is exempt for math.
Reading and Writing: If the student has a combined (Reading/Verbal/Math) score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on the Reading/Verbal, the student is exempt for Reading and Writing.
- TSI Scores:
- Go to the TEA Website and set up your TEAL (Texas Education Agency Login). You will need your TEAL number to apply to the School of Education.
- Complete the Online School of Education Admission Application once the application has been opened. The application will be open from September 15, 2023 - November 17, 2023. The next application window will be during the spring 2024 semester. If you need further information about the School of Education, feel free to send an email to SOEAdvising@uttyler.edu to schedule an appointment. Please attend the group advising session on September 28 at 11:15 a.m. in BEP 213 prior to submitting this application.
- After the application has been reviewed and if you have met the admission criteria, you will receive an offer of admission through your Patriot email account which will include acknowledgments you must agree to when accepting the offer of admission.
- Once you have accepted admission to the School of Education, please send a photo of yourself to SOEAdvising@uttyler.edu to be put on our School of Education bulletin board.
Do you meet admission criteria?
- Achieve a sophomore or above status along with successfully completing 15 hours in
your major for mathematics and science or 12 hours for all other academic majors with
a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA.
- If you are eligible (completed all of Phase I) to participate in Phase II/BLOCK 2
clinical experiences next semester, be sure to submit your completed Phase II/BLOCK
2 application to the Office of Clinical Experiences to either BEP 212E or BEP 247J.
The forms are located in the CANVAS Organization- Education – Clinical Experiences
in the Phase II/BLOCK 2 (UTeach) tab.
Criminal History Acknowledgment:
As required by Texas HB1508, applicants need to be aware of the following.
- In order to receive a teacher certification, you must pass a criminal history background check.
- If you have been convicted of an offense that is considered not appropriate for a teacher, you could be ineligible to earn this certification from the state of Texas.
- You have a right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the Texas Education Agency. The Texas Education Agency currently charges a $50 fee for this criminal history evaluation.
For more information, see Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation.
Transfer of Credit/Experience:
In compliance with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and The University of Texas at Tyler undergraduate policies, credit earned at other accredited colleges or universities may be transferred by students presenting official transcripts describing such credit. Courses are acceptable for transfer at the level at which these courses were classified by the institution granting the credit. Only courses in which a student has earned a grade equivalent of “C” or better will be acceptable for transfer. The course content must be equivalent to the course where transfer is being sought. Students should work with the education advisor to gain information about transfer of credit. Students seeking credit for other experiences should meet with the School Director for requirements.
Withdrawing from Program:
Withdrawing from the School of Education Educator Preparation Program is s a very important decision that has future implications at UT Tyler. You will need to speak with the undergraduate program coordinator, Ms. Cynthia Sherman, to discuss the consequences of withdrawing from the program. You may stop by her office at BEP 212E or send an email to schedule an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have spoken with her, please complete this form.