Surviving an Active Shooter Event
Run. Hide. Fight.
If there is an armed intruder on campus, the university follows the RUN-HIDE-FIGHT response plan:
RUN If you have a clear path away from the gunfire.
- Dont stop until you are far enough away from the building to be safe.
- Warn others along the way to avoid the area.
- Once you are safe, call 911.
HIDE if you do not have a safe pathway out of the building.
- Lock doors, close blinds, turn off lights and silence your cell phone.
- DO NOT try to leave your safe space until an official "all-clear" has been given.
FIGHT if you have no other choice and are confronted by the intruder.
- Improvise weapons from any nearby items. (scissors, letter-opener, etc)
- Attack the shooter as a group, as aggressively as possible.
- When the shooter is subdued call 911.
Never activate a fire alarm during an active shooter event.
Please watch this short video about the Run-Hide-Fight response to an active shooter:
Contact the UT Tyler Police Department at 903.566.7300 for info on presentations to your campus group.