UT Tyler School of Education
Students should apply for admission to the School of Education (SOE) during the semester in which they will complete all the professional education coursework in Phase I or Block 1. You will SUBMIT your School of Education Admission Packets to Ms. Lisa Dempsey, the School of Education advisor and recruiter.
NOTE: School of Education Admission Packets are ONLY accepted during the fall and spring. If you will be eligible for admission in the summer, you should submit your Admission Packet during the spring term.
- Attend School of Education Admission orientation session. (Phase I and Block 1 instructors will inform students when this will be held. This typically occurs during the first six weeks of the fall and spring semester.)
- Schedule and complete a successful pre-screen admission interview prior to application to the School of Education.
- Complete an Admission Application.
- Pay $125 for admission to the SOE (the fee is paid in the Enrollment Services Center, ADM 230) and submit a copy of the receipt to your advisor. Do NOT bring a check to your advisor.
- Provide evidence of satisfactory scores on one of these acceptable basic skills tests:
THEA/TASP Minimum of 240 on each section—reading, mathematics, and writing
Accuplacer Minimum of 82 in reading and mathematics; 6 in writing
ACT Composite score of 24 with minimum of 22 on the reading, mathematics, and writing tests
SAT Minimum of 550 on the critical reading (verbal), mathematics, and writing test
TSI Scores – reading 351 or above, mathematics 350 or above, writing – a placement score of at least 340, and an essay score of at least a 4; or a placement score of less than 340, and an ABE Diagnostic level of at least a 4, and an essay score of at least a 5.
For Accuplacer information, contact the UT Testing Center at 903.565.5693 in UC 3160.
For further information, see Requirements and Equivalencies.
- Achieve a sophomore or above status along with successfully completing 15 hours in your major for mathematics and science majors or 12 hours for all other academic majors with a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA.
- Complete an application selecting a degree plan with your advisor. Secondary and All-Level candidates - Submit copy of degree/deficiency plan or verification of degree plan from your academic advisor in your major.
- Print, sign, and submit the Handbook Agreement Form.
- Print, sign, and submit the FERPA Agreement Form.
- Schedule an appointment with Ms. Dempsey to turn in your paperwork for admission. Ms. Dempsey's office is located in BEP 247J. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are eligible (completed all of Phase I) to participate in Phase II/BLOCK 2 clinical experiences next semester, be sure to submit your completed Phase II/BLOCK 2 application to the Office of Clinical Experiences to either BEP 247G or BEP 212E. The forms are located in the CANVAS Organization- Education – Clinical Experiences in the Phase II/BLOCK 2 (UTeach) tab.
Transfer of Credit/Experience:
In compliance with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and The University of Texas at Tyler undergraduate policies, credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges or universities may be transferred by students presenting official transcripts describing such credit. Courses are acceptable for transfer at the level at which these courses were classified by the institution granting the credit. Only courses in which a student has earned a grade equivalent of “C” or better will be acceptable for transfer. The course content must be equivalent to the course where transfer is being sought. Students should work with the education advisor to gain information about transfer of credit. Students seeking credit for other experiences should meet with the School Director for requirements.