UT Tyler Psychology & Counseling

UT Tyler Psychology and Counseling

Certification and Licensure

The M.S. in Clinical Psychology can qualify students to take the licensing exam for certification as a Licensed Psychological Associate (L.P.A.) from the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. The M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) is intended to prepare students for the licensing exam to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (L.P.C.) through the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.

Master of Arts in School Counseling

The M.A. in School Counseling can qualify students to meet the course requirements to become Professional Counselors certified by the Texas State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC). The School Counseling program is intended to prepare students to pass the appropriate TExES examination. Students who also wish to receive the L.P.C. must meet additional admission requirements, must complete additional coursework including an additional supervised practicum in a clinical setting, and must pass the appropriate oral examination. Applicants must have three years of teaching experience to qualify for the SBEC Professional Counselor Certificate. Students matriculating in Master's programs other than the M.A. in School Counseling program or students who already have Master's degrees should contact the Program Coordinator regarding the Professional Counselor Certificate. Students seeking only the SBEC Professional Counselor Certificate must meet the admission and other requirements for the M.A. in School Counseling degree programs.