Health Sciences MS Degree
The University of Texas at Tyler
Dept of Health and Kinesiology
3900 University Boulevard
Tyler, Texas 75799
Dr. David Criswell
College: Nursing and Health Sciences
Total Program Tuition Cost: $15,156 Estimated tuition for full-time, in-state on-campus enrollment. Tuition varies by delivery method and hours taken per semester. Calculate your estimated tuition with the tuition calculator.
Scholarships/Financial Support: Yes
Student Research: Yes
Must have an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited academic institution in a field closely related to the mission of the intended master’s degree program.
Test Score Required: None
If the applicant is an international student, the TOEFL may be waived if the Health Sciences faculty assess both written and spoken English.
GPA: At least 3.0 on a 4-point scale for all upper-division undergraduate hours or have an earned graduate degree from an accredited academic institution
Letters of Recommendation: Submit three strong letters of recommendation from individuals in professional positions who can validly comment on the applicant’s suitability for graduate studies in general and for studies in the intended field in particular.
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: Yes - statement of goals.
Interview: Applicant must have an interview with at least one health sciences faculty member.
Deadlines: University deadlines apply.
Career Outlook: Health sciences is one of the fastest growing segments of the economy. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, opportunities should be strong for those with excellent management skills and work experience in the field. Employment for managers in medical and health services is expected to grow 16% during this decade. Graduates who go on to earn a PhD in the field will enjoy even greater opportunities in medical research, where job opportunities are expected to grow by 40% over the decade.
UT Tyler Health Sciences Graduate Student Research:
- EXPLORATORY STUDY OF IMMIGRANT KENYAN MOTHERS KNOWLEDGE, BELIEFS AND ATTITUDES ABOUT HEALTH AND NUTRITION
- INFLUENCE OF DIET- AND WEIGHT-RELATED BEHAVIORS AND SOCIAL NORMS ON OBESITY IN TEXAS EIGHTH AND ELEVENTH GRADE ADOLESCENTS
Meet a graduate student of The University of Texas at Tyler.
Prepare to Be a Leader in Health Care and Disease Prevention
Undertake a master’s degree in health sciences at The University of Texas at Tyler and customize your studies to suit your own career and learning goals.
- Attend convenient evening classes at the Tyler campus and complete your master’s in health sciences degree in just two years.
- Study in facilities considered outstanding: The 127,000-square-foot Louise Herrington Patriot Center featuring computer labs, classrooms, sports facilities and a therapeutic exercise pool.
Encouraged to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) test. UT Tyler is an approved testing site.
Learn more from the Department of Health and Kinesiology.
Master's in Health Sciences: Individualized. Leadership-Focused
- Choose from five areas of focus to meet your career goals: Health and Behavior,Global Health Issues, Community Health and Wellness, Risk Analysis and Health Promotion, and Program Development and Evaluation. Write a master’s thesis or complete an internship in your area of interest.
- Acquire the career skills needed to become a strong advocate for programs promoting sound health and disease prevention. Learn to evaluate health programs and assess health needs.
- Conduct and contribute to research-oriented projects, working side-by-side with faculty experts.
Health Sciences Faculty: Published. Practical.
- Learn with faculty who are experienced across a broad spectrum of health issues and careers, including proven experience in managing health crises, conducting AIDS research and training HIV/AIDS workers, and working in the field of epidemiology.
- Interact with professors who are recognized authorities in their field and widely published in scientific journals, sharing their important research findings on diseases and health treatments.
Learn about UT Tyler’s health sciences faculty.
Health Sciences Courses: Balancing Theory and Service.
Research Design – Explore designs commonly employed in research in health and exercise sciences.
Theories and Models in Health Behavior – Study theories and models as they may be applied to health-related community efforts and individual behavior-change programs.
Analysis of Needs, Processes and Outcomes in Health – Examine the quantitative and qualitative methods applied to determining needs, processes and outcomes for a broad range of health entities with a focus on the interaction of financial demands and product or service delivery and quality as critical to decision-making.
More about UT Tyler’s health science program of study.
Request Information about a UT Tyler Health Sciences Master's Degree