Family Nurse Practitioner MSN Degree - Online/Hybrid
School of Nursing
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Boulevard
Tyler, Texas 75799
College: School of Nursing
Tuition varies by delivery method and hours taken per semester. Calculate your estimated tuition with the tuition calculator.
Scholarships/Financial Support: Yes
Programs: Online Nursing Administration-MSN, Online Nursing Education-MSN, Online/Hybrid Family Nurse Practitioner, Online MSN-MBA, Online Nursing Education Certificate, Online/Hybrid Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner and Online MSN Informatics, Quality and Safety.
Applicants from countries other than the United States must also meet the admission requirements for international students seeking a graduate degree as listed in the University catalog.
Test Score Required: No
GPA: Minimum GPA of 3.0 for the last 60 semester credit hours of undergraduate work.
Students who do not meet the GPA requirement for full admission may be granted conditional admission based on satisfactory scores on the verbal/quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) in combination with GPA for the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate work.
Letters of Recommendation: 3 - professional or academic
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Yes
Proof of Current Licensure: Yes - must be in the state(s) where clinical practicum will occur
Admissions Essay: Yes - submit both a two-page essay and video. Essay and video prompts may be viewed by selecting the program of choice on the nursing application page.
Additional Requirements: Hold a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from a nationally accredited College. Complete an undergraduate statistics course with a grade of "C" or better. In the last four years, one year of full-time work experience as a nurse prior to application is needed. This experience should be direct patient care involving patient assessment and medication administration. All applicants who are admitted to an MSN degree program in the School of Nursing are required to complete a criminal background check and urine drug screening. No student will be allowed entry to a nursing course without a clear report or a letter from the Texas Board of Nursing certifying that any criminal history is not a danger to the public. Applicants must have current BCLS CPR certification before beginning clinical courses.
Deadlines:Graduate School Calendar
Career Outlook: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, nurse practitioners will be in high demand in the years ahead. The Bureau predicts a 22% growth rate in the number of registered nursing positions. This increase will be a result of the increased focus on preventive care, technological advances in patient care and a rapidly growing older population.
Meet a graduate student of The University of Texas at Tyler.
Meet the Nation’s Growing Need for Skilled Family Nurse Practitioners
With the significant increase in health care needs of our expanding population, more nurse practitioners are required across the country. A master of science in nursing (MSN) for nurse practitioners from The University of Texas at Tyler will ensure that you are well-prepared to provide the advanced practice skills of assessment and health needs management required to meet emerging demands.
- Take part in a nurse practitioner program that combines online and web-enhanced classes, work with preceptors assessing and treating patients and attend 1-2 days on the Tyler campus.
- Complete a program that has a 100% pass-rate on the national certification examinations through the American Nurses Credentialing Center, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners or the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board.
Nurse practitioners who graduate from our master’s program are in high demand. Our graduates are employed in clinics, physician offices and hospitals throughout the East Texas region.
Master’s for Family Nurse Practitioners: In-Demand. Needs-Focused.
- Participate in a web-enhanced program that combines the convenience of studying online with the advantages of face-to-face interaction on campus with your professors.
- Focus your nurse practitioner studies in family or pediatric specialties.
- Complete 675 hours in precepted, clinical experiences that can be accomplished close to your own home. All clinicals must be completed in the state of Texas.
Nursing Faculty: Exceptional Mentors. Dedicated Healers.
- Study with faculty members who have had extensive nurse practitioner experiences.
- Learn from faculty members who engage in promoting positive community based outcomes.
- Be mentored by professors who are well connected at local, state, and national levels and are committed to helping you reach your career goals.
Learn about UT Tyler’s nursing faculty.
Nurse Practitioner Master’s Courses: Challenging. Practical.
Find Out More:
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, Tx 75799
M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.