Financial Aid FAQs

Financial Aid

UT Tyler Financial Aid FAQs


Q: I have been contacted by a company named Inceptia, who are they and are they legitimate?

A: Inceptia is a third party processing company that UT Tyler has partnered with to help students complete verification processes quickly and with less paperwork.  If they contact you via email or traditional mail, please follow up with them so that we can process your financial aid application in a timely fashion.

Q: How will the UT Tyler Office of Financial Aid communicate with me?

A: All correspondence will be done through the student's Patriot Email Account.

Q: Is there another application to complete to receive financial aid at UT Tyler?

A: The only application needed is the FAFSA. However, you must submit any additional documents requested (tax forms, etc.) by the financial aid office. You must also be admitted as a regular degree seeking student.

Q: Will my FAFSA be processed if I am not admitted to UT Tyler?

A: You MUST be admitted to UT Tyler before your FAFSA is processed by the financial aid office. If you submit your FAFSA before you are admitted, you will need to contact the financial aid office once you receive your acceptance letter from the Office of Admissions.

If you did not supply your Social Security number on your admissions application, your FAFSA will not automatically be processed. You will need to notify the financial aid office to update this information in order for your FAFSA to be processed.

Q: How do I apply for summer financial aid?

A: You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours of summer classes and have a FAFSA on file for the current academic year at UT Tyler before you complete the Summer Aid Application.

Q: Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

A: Yes, your eligibility for financial aid may change from year to year. If the family’s adjusted
gross income, household size or number attending college has changed, your eligibility will also change. Renewal of your financial aid eligibility also depends on your satisfactory academic progress.

Q: What if I know I won’t be eligible for a grant and all I want is a Direct Loan?

A: You must complete the FAFSA to be eligible for ANY federal aid.

Q: What do I do when I receive email notification of my award?

A: You must go to myUTTyler StudentCenter to accept or decline any financial aid awards offered.

Q: Can I receive financial aid at two schools for the same semester?

A: No, you cannot receive financial aid at two schools for the same semester. You will want to discuss your situation with your UT Tyler financial aid counselor to determine at which school you should apply for financial aid. Your financial aid award will be based on the hours in which you are enrolled at that school, not a combination of the hours from the two schools.

Q: I transferred from another school. Does my aid transfer too?

A: You do not have to complete the FAFSA again for the same academic year. However, UT Tyler’s Office of Financial Aid will need the information from your Student Aid Report (SAR). You will need to add our school’s Title IV code (011163) at

Q: What happens if I withdraw from UT Tyler?

A: If you withdraw from all classes during a semester in which you receive federal financial aid, you may be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Policy. It is strongly advised that you visit with a financial aid counselor before withdrawing from all courses.

Q: How do I request re-evaluation of my financial aid?

A: Visit our "Forms Library" page to download the Financial Aid Re-Evaluation form.

Q: What if my enrollment changes or I decide to attend only one term?

A: Enrollment changes made prior to the census date may result in adjustments to your awards. If you lose funding that was used to pay tuition, you may now owe a balance and your classes may be dropped. It is your responsibility to monitor any changes to your account to insure you do not get dropped. If you are awarded for both fall and spring, but decide to attend only one term, please notify our office as this may result in changes to your financial aid awards.