In addition to the general requirements for admission to graduate study, the requirements for admission to the communication program are as follows:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- A satisfactory score on the General Test (verbal, quantitative, and analytical) of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The GRE should be completed prior to the conclusion of the first long semester of enrollment.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4 point scale on all upper-division course work.
- Two favorable letters of recommendation.
- Additional consideration for admission will be based upon the applicant's demonstrated commitment to his or her chosen field of study, involvement and level of responsibility in nonacademic matters including extracurricular activities, employment, community service, and socioeconomic background.
- Students who do not have a journalism or speech communication major or minor in their undergraduate studies may be required to take nine to twelve hours of leveling courses as determined by the communication graduate faculty.