Requesting Accessibility Services

UT Tyler Student Accessibility and Resources

A student who would like to be considered for accommodation services must request services through Student Accessibility and Resources. The student requesting services should fill out the new student application through SAR Online Services and, if possible, upload any supporting documentation.

To help ensure accommodations the first week of classes, students are encouraged to submit application and documentation at least four weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.

After the application and documentation has been received, the student's file will be reviewed by the Accommodations Review Committee. After committee review, the student's SAR case manager will contact them to schedule an intake interview. A personal history interview with the student and the case manager is necessary in order to provide proper accommodations and/or assess any additional type of documentation that may be needed in order to proceed with determining eligibility.

Supporting documentation is strongly encouraged and in some cases may be necessary to determine eligibility. If the student has any of the documentation listed below, it is important that they submit it to the SAR office for the case manager to review.

Most psychological, psychiatric or chronic illness will need supporting documentation. There may be need for new and/or relevant documentation to be obtained at the student's expense. If this is the case, the student will be informed by the case manager.

If requesting a housing accommodation for an emotional support animal, a specific form may be obtained from the SAR office. It is to be filled out by a qualified provider and submitted as documentation along with the application for services. While service animals are not subject to registration with the SAR office, it is encouraged so that other supports may be offered, if needed. Additionally, in case of misrepresentation there are campus and legal ramifications.

Supporting documentation must be from an appropriate qualified professional who has particular expertise in the area of the condition/disability.