UT Tyler School of Education
TExES Preparation Sessions
The School of Education is committed to students passing their respective examinations necessary for certification. You MUST do the following in order to be approved to take your certification exams.
- During Phase II, you must complete six hours of TExES preparation for your content
(e.g. Core Subjects, 4-8 Math, etc.) test. You must complete these hours and submit
to Mrs. Harris (BEP 247H or firstname.lastname@example.org) before you are approved to take your content area test.
During Phase II, you will also have the opportunity to take a diagnostic content exam if ETS has a test in your area. This test is offered to you free of charge but ONLY administered on specific dates. This opportunity is only available during your Phase II semester.
- You will take your content test during Phase III. You must PASS your content test prior to clinical teaching. This assures the school district that you know the content that you are teaching.
- In order to be approved to be approved to take the PPR, you must score a 85% or higher on the ETS Interactive PPR Practice Test. This resources is found on the School of Education TExES Information – Study Materials webpage.
We do have a variety of resources available to you as you prepare for the Texas certification exams (TExES).
There are four online resources which can assist you in preparing for your certification exams.
- The School of Education TExES Study Materials. We strongly encourage you to download the Preparation Manual for your content area and the PPR. We also strongly encourage you to make sure of the Interactive Practice Tests along with the other resources mentioned on this page.
- Certify Teacher – this is a paid resource but the School of Education has negotiated a special price for our students. See the Certify Teacher page in the Documents area of the School of Education Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Program course in your course listings in Blackboard to get the information for the discount.
- 240Tutoring – this is also a paid resource. Again, the School of Education has negotiated a 10% discount for you. Please see the Documents area of the School of Education Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Program course in your course listings in Blackboard to get the information for the discount. Not all content areas have study guides.
- T-CERT – This website has a variety of resources for select Texas certification exams. You will have to register to use this website but the account is free.
The School of Education does host face-to-face sessions to help you prepare for your certification exams. These sessions include general test preparation for the TExES exams as well as sessions that review the content for the PPR exam. In addition, we do host some sessions to assist with content area.
Please watch your Patriot email, the bulletin boards by the CAL Lab and across from BEP 218 for addition information about the face-to-face TExES Prep sessions. You must be at the session the entire time and sign in on the attendance sheet in order to get credit for your preparation hours.