UT Tyler School of Education
Online Superintendent Certification Program - For Texas Educators Only
Now Accepting Applications!
The Superintendent Certification is a completely online 17-semester-hour program that requires a) holding a Standard Principal, Mid-Management, or other Texas Administrator Certification, or you have three years of creditable years of public school managerial experience and TEA has approved your experience for a Substitution of Managerial Experience waiver; b) completion of the specified course sequence within six years; and c) satisfactory performance on the appropriate TExES exam. TExES Certification scores are an important factor in content mastery. During the 2020 completion year, 100% of the superintendent candidates passed the Superintendent TExES Certification Exam.
Total program tuition costs approximately $5,506 based on the 2021-2022 tuition schedule.
To be admitted to the Superintendent Certificate program, a prospective student must:
- Hold a master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Provide evidence of holding a Standard Principal, Mid-management, or other Texas Administrator Certificate; or three creditable years of managerial experience in a public school district.
- Complete the application submission process.
Application Submission Process:
- Complete the application for admission to a graduate program. Your program must be the Superintendent Program to be eligible for scholarships.
- Send all of the following documents directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions at the address below:
- Official transcripts from the institution that awarded bachelor's and master's degrees
- Copy of your Standard Principal, Midmanagement or other Texas administrator certificate.
- Copy of your complete teaching service record from all districts (Can be obtained from each district Human Resources office).
The Office of Graduate Admissions, STE 345
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd
Tyler Texas 75799
You may also email documents to email@example.com
- Once all application materials have been submitted, complete the Admission Screening Survey.
When all materials have been received and processed and admission criteria met, you will receive an offer of admission.
Note: This program does not offer provisional admission. You must be fully admitted to begin coursework.
Criminal History Acknowledgement:
As required by Texas HB1508, applicants need to be aware of the following.
- In order to receive a superintendent certification, you must pass a criminal history background check.
- If you have been convicted of an offense that is considered not appropriate for a superintendent, you could be ineligible to earn this certification from the state of Texas.
- You have a right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the Texas Education Agency. The Texas Education Agency currently charges a $50 fee for this criminal history evaluation.
For more information, see Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation.
Superintendent Certification Program (17 hours):
Public School Finance
Practicum in the Superintendency (Fall and Spring semester only)