Office of Human Resources
Texas Veteran Definition and Preference Eligibility
In accordance with Texas legislation, an eligible veteran, surviving spouse of a veteran or an orphan of a veteran is entitled to preference in the selection process over other applicants who do not have greater qualifications.
- An individual who served in
- the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States or the United States Public Health Service under 42 U.S.C. Section 201 et seq., as amended;
- the Texas military forces as defined by Section 437.001; or
- an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed forces; and has been honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served.
- has been honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served.
Surviving Spouse of a Veteran
- A person who is the spouse of a veteran who was killed while on active duty; and
- the spouse has not remarried.
Orphan of a Veteran
- A person who is the child of a veteran who was killed while on active duty.