UT Tyler Undergraduate Nursing
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The School of Nursing offers the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. Upon successful completion of the BSN curriculum at the Tyler, Longview, or Palestine campus, graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN).
The University of Texas at Tyler School of Nursing prepares graduates to meet health care needs as generalists.
The BSN program requires two years of prerequisite course completion and then four semesters of nursing courses. The BSN curriculum is offered year-round and completion of program can occur in 18 months.
Students must be Texas Core-complete BEFORE beginning the BSN program. Five (5) outstanding prerequisite courses can be in progress during time of application. Acceptance into the BSN program is conditional upon successful completion of core courses in progress.
- Chemistry + Lab (CHEM 1305 and 1105 Recommended)
- Microbiology + Lab (BIOL 2320 and BIOL 2120) or Bacteriology (and lab)
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II + Lab (BIOL 2301 and 2101, BIOL 2302 and 2102)
- Nutrition (ALHS 2315)
- Lifespan Growth & Development (PSYC 2320)
- Introductory Psychology (PSYC 1301)
- Statistics (Math 1342)
- NURS 3303 Pathophysiology from 4 year university (UT Tyler pathophysiology recommended)
Requirements to Apply
UT Tyler Student without Freshman Guarantee/Transfer Students
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in all core courses and nursing prerequisite courses
- Completed TEAS Test (minimum score of 58.7)
- Pathophysiology with a grade of C or above
- Students failing NURS 3303 Pathophysiology at mid-term the semester applying will not be considered for admission until the course is successfully completed.
UT Tyler with Freshman Guarantee
- Students admitted to UT Tyler as freshman (entered with fewer than 30 semester credit hours) are guaranteed admission to the School of Nursing if they meet the criteria:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher in Core and Nursing pre-requisite courses
- All Nursing Pre-requisite sciences taken in one attempt, including Pathophysiology
- Maintained a minimum GPA of 2.0 in all terms at UT Tyler
- Never on probation, or allowed cumulative GPA to fall below 2.0 in any term at UT Tyler
- Completed TEAS with a score of 58.7
- If do not maintain criteria, then freshman guarantee is waived, but student can apply and may still be accepted
- Transfer students must apply and be accepted to UT Tyler
- Meet with a UT Tyler School of Nursing Academic Advisor
- All applicants must have an updated (within the last 12 months) degree plan from an Academic Advisor in the UT Tyler School of Nursing
- All applicants must complete the ATI TEAS and upload a copy of results through the online application system (HESI scores not accepted).
- See the ATI website for more information.
- Applicants may take the assessment at any testing center that supports ATI testing. Testing dates are offered on all three UT Tyler campuses (Tyler, Longview, and Palestine).
- Apply to the School of Nursing BSN program by filling out Traditional BSN Application
- Decision letters sent within four weeks of the application deadline
- Spring Admission - September 15
- Summer Admission - February 15
- Fall admission - May 15
While Waiting for Acceptance
Students are strongly encouraged to gather immunization records and other required documents needed to start nursing school. Failure to upload appropriate documentation within deadlines will delay ability to enroll full-time and participate in clinical experiences.
- Pay non-refundable seat deposit of $150.00 by the date indicated in the acceptance letter. Failure to pay the deposit will result in forfeiture of the acceptance.
- Applicants who accept an offer of admission but later decide not to attend will forfeit seat deposit.
- Pay for and create a Castle Branch Click: Place Order > Please Select > Undergraduate Nursing > Pick Campus.
- Applicants names will be submitted to the Board of Nursing (BON). The BON shares email address with IdentoGO. IdentoGO will send an email with instructions regarding fingerprints and background checks. The whole process takes at least 4 weeks, follow instructions carefully.
- Coming Soon!