Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Office of Research and Scholarship
The purpose of the UT Tyler IRB is to review research proposals that involves human beings before the research is initiated to ensure ethically-conducted research for the protection of human subjects. Proposals are reviewed based on the ethical principles outlined in the Belmont Report: beneficence, justice and respect for persons. The principles are reflected as standards of practice in the Code of Federal Regulations established by the Department of Health and Human Resources, Title 45.
New Information as of 3/1/2022
As the UT Tyler IRB and HSC IRB continue their integration of programs, we will begin transitioning from Cayuse to IRBManager as the unified online IRB management platform.
Like Cayuse, IRBManager is an online submission and protocol management system. All IRB work will be captured in this program.
Effective March 1, 2022, all NEW USER Account Requests for human subjects research will be generated in IRBManager. Submission forms are being aligned so that the continuity of questions in Cayuse are mirrored in IRBManager.
Effective April 1, 2022, all NEW INITIAL Submissions will be completed in IRBManager as the new study creation function in Cayuse will be disabled.
All currently approved studies will continue to be managed in Cayuse until further notice.
For additional information about the IRB Integration, Cayuse, IRBManager, IRB Review Process, and New User Accounts, please click here.
- Lisa Bush, HRPP/IRB Director: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Vacant, IRB Coordinator:
- Felice Calico, IRB Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. David Pearson, IRB Chair: email@example.com
- IRB office: (903) 877-7632 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources for Researchers
Training Modules: Protection of Human Subjects in Research
IMPORTANT: All PIs and co-investigators must complete CITI training before any IRB submissions are approved. Please visit the Training page for more details and login information.
- Responsibility and Scope of the UT Tyler IRB
- Responsibilities of the Principal Investigator
- Criteria for IRB Approval
- Types of Reviews by the UT Tyler IRB
- Protocols Using Retrospective Data
- Collaborative Research
- Student PIs
- Human Subjects Research Training for IRB Members, PIs and the Research Team
- Decisions of IRB Reviews
- Submissions of Proposals
- Procedures for Investigating and Reporting Incidents of Research Misconduct and Non-Compliance
- Suspension/Termination of Investigations
- Unanticipated Problems or Adverse Event/Death
- Policy on Management of Human Subject Complaints and Assurance of Confidentiality
- Informed Consent
- Certificates of Confidentiality
- HIPPA Privacy Rule Policy in Research
- UT Tyler HIPAA Requirements
- Policy on Protection of Pregnant Women, Human Fetuses and Neonates in Research
- Protection of Prisoners in Research
- Policy on Informed Consent of Children
- Protection of Children Involved in Research
- Policy on Clinical Trial Registration and Results Dissemination for Federally Funded Studies
- Policy for Data and Safety Monitoring of Human Subject Research Studies
- Use of Radioactive Equipment in Research
- Special Subject Populations: Students
- Special Subject Populations: Employees
- Unaffiliated Investigator Agreement
- External Reviews Conducted by the University of Texas at Tyler Institutional Review Board
- Review of IRB Policies, Procedures and Forms
- Undergraduate and Graduate Student Course-Related Research Projects
Office of Human Research Protection Information
Resources for IRB Members
- General Information for IRB Members
- IRB Member Agreement
- Streamlining IRB Meetings: What You Can Do?
- UT Tyler IRB Delegated Reviewer Checklist
- David Pearson, Ph.D.,Pharmacy; IRB Chair
- Christopher Thomas, Ph.D., Education
- Danice Greer, Ph.D., Nursing
- Fredericka Brown, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
- Lauren Kirby, Ph.D., Psychology
- Leonard Brown, Ph.D., Computer Science
- Neil Dong, Ph.D., Health and Kinesiology
- Phillip Dancy, Ph.D. (External Member)
- Richard Helfers, Ph.D., Social Sciences
- Marina Astakhova, Ph.D., Management and Marketing
- Chet Thomas, (External Member)
- Ashleigh Day, Ph.D., Communication