Export Control Travel

Office of Research and Scholarship

When traveling outside of the United States, researchers need to know their responsibilities under export control regulations. While travel to most countries does not create an export control issue, export control regulations can affect:

  • Traveling with devices for a conference or meeting such as
    • Laptops;
    • Encryption products;
    • Data or technology; or,
    • Blueprints, drawings or schematics.
  • Carrying unpublished technical information related to a defense article
  • Carrying or providing technology or data to a private conference or meeting (in which attendees are limited and notes are not permitted)
  • Exchanges of goods and services in certain countries
  • Trips to sanctioned or embargoed countries
  • Conducting business with restricted or debarred individuals or entities

Export license exception for temporary exports (TMP)

The Office of Research and Scholarship offers a temporary exception (TMP) to export licensing requirements for UT Tyler travelers carrying outside of the United States UT Tyler-owned items or technology that would normally require a license from the Department of Commerce.

The Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR) makes an exception to licensing requirements for the temporary export or reexport of certain items, technology, or software for professional use as long as the criteria in the TMP exception are met.

The Export Administration Regulations (EAR) implements certain sanctions against Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. The license requirements, license exceptions, and licensing policy vary depending upon the particular sanctioned destination. View the corresponding country pages at the Bureau of Industry and Security. However, the webpages are not comprehensive and do not serve as replacements for the EAR, which can be found at 15 CFR §740.

The exception does not apply to any EAR satellite or space-related equipment, components, or software, or to any technology associated with high-level encryption products and cannot be used for travel to Iran, Syria, Cuba, North Korea, or Sudan (in limited circumstances TMP can be used for Sudan). This exception does not apply to items, technology, data, or software regulated by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). See UT Tyler's Sanctioned or Restricted Countries, Organizations and Persons webpage for more information.

The License Exception Form

UT Tyler travelers carrying personal property can find information on the temporary license exception for personal baggage (BAG) at 15 CFR §740.14.

An export license may be required if federal regulations control access to the item you are carrying or the country to which you are traveling. A license may also be required if you are providing a defense service to a foreign person, even if the exchange is based on information in the public domain.

Please send an email to our Research Compliance Coordinator for more information on licensing. For more information on international travel, please also visit Travel Services or the Forms & Resources webpage of the Office of International Programs (OIP).