CARES Act Grant
2020-2021 Academic Year
As a part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), University of Texas at Tyler students can apply for a grant to help with "expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, healthcare and child-care expenses."
Per the Department of Education and UT System requirements, students must meet the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled in at least one (1) three credit hour on-ground course at UT Tyler as of March 13, 2020.
- Students who were fully online March 13 and previously are not eligible.
- Must have filed and be eligible to apply for financial aid through FAFSA (does not include international, DACA and dual credit students).
- Must be maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
Limited funds are available, so students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Funds will be awarded until UT Tyler's allocation of the CARES grant has been exhausted.
Students will be notified if they received an award within 1-2 weeks of application. If a student is awarded, they will need to make sure they have selected their refund preference with BankMobile. UT Tyler has partnered with BankMobile Disbursements to deliver financial aid and other school refunds to UT Tyler students. Please follow BankMobile's instructions for selecting your preference:
- Visit RefundSelection.com
- Enter your personal code (arrived in a green envelope or via email)
- Select how you want your money delivered
- Make your choice today at refundselection.com
- Don't have a code? Visit RefundSelection.com and click on the "Need A Code?" link.
*Important Note: The application is now closed and all available CARES Funds are being allocated to eligible recipients.
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting - Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students
- The University of Texas at Tyler has signed and returned to the Department the Certification
and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used, or intends to use,
no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES
Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The total amount of funds that the institution will receive or has received from the
Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency
Financial Aid Grants to Students: $2,597,305
- The total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Section
18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of the date of submission (i.e., as of the 30-day
Report and every 45 days thereafter): $2,457,239
- The estimated total number of students at the institution eligible to participate
in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and
thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section
18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act: 5244
- The total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant to
students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act: 1316
- The method(s) used by the institution to determine which students receive Emergency
Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of
the CARES Act: UT Tyler Methodology
- Additional instructions, directions, and guidance provided by the institution to students: