The University of Texas at Tyler Office of Leadership and Service connects UT Tyler students to service opportunities on campus, in the Tyler/East Texas community and beyond.
Through volunteerism, you'll help create solutions to critical challenges in the community while also building your leadership skills, gaining a broader awareness of social issues and enhancing your overall collegiate experience.
Experience the impact of community service. Choose today to get involved!
Track Your Service Hours
Tracking your service hours is now easier than ever! The Office of Leadership & Service is using our new Engage student platform to aid you in keeping track of your service hours. You can click here to be taken to the landing page. Once there, follow the directions below to log your service hours.
- Click the sign in button on the top, right-hand side of your screen. If you are not logged in automatically, use your Patriots credentials to complete this step.
- Click the profile icon on the top, right-hand side of your screen.
- Click the service hours option from the provided list.
- Click on the add service hours icon on the top, right-hand side of your screen.
- Now you're ready to fill out your service form and submit it!
Important to Remember
- You must select a student organization that you want your hours to count toward. The only student organizations that will appear in the drop down are organizations that you are a member of and have been enrolled in that group's Engage page. (Please email us or come by the Student Engagement Suite in UC 3400 if you have questions.)
- You can only select one student organization. If you want to include a secondary organizations, please indicate that in the description section.
- You must include the non-profit/business/organization that you volunteered with in the description section (i.e., The East Texas Food Bank, Grace Community Church, etc.).
- Each individual person will have to input their own service hours from their Engage account.
Awards and Scholarships
By becoming a registered volunteer and tracking your service hours with the Office of Leadership and Service, you become eligible for multiple awards!
The Office of Leadership and Service also awards the Bonnie and Scott Palmer Service Scholarship and the Stella Crews and Erwin Douglas Dyer Community Service Scholarship each semester. If you're interested in learning more about these scholarships, please contact the Office of Leadership and Service.
Most students choose a service opportunity that is related to their academic major, future career, or their passion. We want to encourage you to take your time and find the best service opportunity for you. Also, please know that some community partners have screening requirements and trainings that you must complete before you can start volunteering.
Come visit the Office of Leadership and Service to see which community partners would be the perfect fit for you. We maintain a database of community partners in the Tyler area that welcome groups and individual volunteers.
You can also go directly to a number of websites that contain listings for individuals, groups, and upcoming and seasonal volunteer opportunities. They include the following:
- Alzheimer's Alliance of Smith County
- American Cancer Society
- Andrews Angles
- The Bair Foundation
- Bethesda Health Clinic
- Biolife Plasma Services
- Boys and Girls Club of East Texas
- Breckenridge Village of Tyler
- Caldwell Zoo
- Camp Tyler
- Cancer Foundation for Life (FitSTEPS for Life)
- Children's Advocacy Center of Smith County
- Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch
- Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America, North Texas Chapter
- Discovery Science Place
- East Texas Center for Independent Living
- East Texas Crisis Center
- East Texas Food Bank
- Humane Society of Cedar Creek Lake
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- League of Women Voters of Tyler/Smith County
- Literacy Council of Tyler
- Octapharma Plasma
- Refuge of Light
- Salvation Army
- Texas Hunger Initiative
- Texas State Park Ambassador Program
- Tyler Museum of Art
- Vista Academy of Tyler
- Volunteer Tyler