Center for Students in Recovery at UT Tyler Frequently Asked Questions

Center for Students in Recovery

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some common questions we receive in the department of Recovery.

1.  What is it that you do, is it like counseling?

Although recovery coaching in the collegiate recovery program is similar to addiction counseling, our program does not employ any Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselors or LPC's. Collegiate recovery is more about supporting people through the difficult journey of college life in an abstinence hostile environment.


2.  Do you have to be 100% abstinent to join?

At this time, our community bylaws do not prohibit anyone from joining based on their current use of substances. If you are curious about recovery and want to learn more, then we welcome you. Similarly, if you are interested in learning how to moderate your use of substances or behaviors, we want to support you as well.


3.  Can you tell us about students that have been utilizing the services you provide?

We are often asked for this type of documentation to support the health of our student community. Best practice in the field is to allow (given that the student consents to such) for reporting of attendance for compulsory programs. No information about a students recovery status, health records, diagnosis of substance use disorder, or any student records covered by FERPA will be shared with anyone.


4.  I have a friend that I am concerned about, I think they may be using and I want to help. What can I do?

  • The first thing to do is talk to them. Ask them if they are using, thinking of hurting themselves, or experiencing problems in their personal life. Most of the time, if we ask those we care about what is going on, they will be happy to share their concerns.
  • If your friend seems guarded or refuses to discuss their concerns, you can make them aware of all the available resources listed on this page.  
  • If your friend is ready to seek help, the best support you can give is to go with them to meet with someone as soon as possible.
  • The CSR office is open from 8 am to 5 pm for walk-in appointments for students in crisis. The Student Counseling Center is also open for walk-in crisis appointments or same day appointment scheduling as needed. Students can also contact the 24/7 Crisis Line at 903.566.7254.