IT Related Purchases for University Use
Administration has approved the following updated IT purchasing policies:
- One-device policy. Faculty and staff are to have only one computer. Requests for additional computers will be reviewed before approvals.
- All IT related purchases need to be reviewed by IT before the purchase is made or the PO is created.
- UT Tyler is required to be in compliance with Texas Administrative Code Section 202 which establishes Information Security Standards.
- All vendors that host or access University Data must be pre-approved by the Information Security Office prior to use. This includes acquisition (paid or free) and use of external services such as cloud storage, application or communication providers.
NOTE: Systems purchased that do not receive IT approval, are beyond economic repair, and/or that are too old to receive security updates, will be prohibited from connecting to the production network and will not receive IT support.
This is necessary to assure our IT department can provide necessary support for the item and that the item will not compromise university data or resources. This includes any item that would need IT Support for installation or support such as software, apps, computers, laptops, tablets, monitors and any peripheral equipment such as keyboards, mice, web cams, headphones, printers, etc.
Standard Computing Devices
To expedite this process, IT Support has created a Web page listing Standard Computing Devices, laptops, monitors, tablets, and various accessories that can be quickly quoted and approved for current pricing and processed. Below are the minimum specifications for computers.
- Intel Core i5
- 8GB Memory
- 250GB Storage Drive
- Built-in webcams for laptops
- Monitors and webcams for desktops (optional)
The Standard Computer Accessories have been tested and can easily be supported by campus support personnel. The Web page provides links for the best price and instructions for purchasing without sales tax. Items on this list do not need a quote or approval and are fully supported by IT Support.
Should you need to purchase items not on the pre-approved list, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive technical advice and cost comparisons to ensure best value and be advised of security or support issues.
Should you choose to purchase an item that is not approved, please note that IT Support will not be able to assist in the installation or support of the item.
Discount Products for Personal Use
Save up to 80% on various Software and Hardware products! Visit HiEd Online and login with your university email and ID number.
New pricing, awesome deals! Start shopping for Dell products at a discounted price.