In addition to the general requirements for admission to graduate study, the requirements for admission to the communication program are as follows:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- A satisfactory score on the General Test (verbal, quantitative, and analytical) of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The GRE should be completed prior to the conclusion of the first long semester of enrollment. Courses taken after the first long semester of enrollment will not apply toward the degree unless the student has successfully completed the GRE. Students who do not have satisfactory scores on the GRE may still be admitted under the condition that they obtain a grade of B or higher in six semester hours at UT Tyler. The student must choose either COMM 5307 or COMM 5325 and COMM 5300 or COMM 5305. Both courses should be completed before the student has finished twelve hours of graduate classes.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4 point scale on all upper-division course work.
- Two favorable letters of recommendation.
- Additional consideration for admission will be based upon the applicant's demonstrated commitment to his or her chosen field of study, involvement and level of responsibility in nonacademic matters including extracurricular activities, employment, community service, and socioeconomic background.
- Students who do not have a journalism or speech communication major or minor in their undergraduate studies may be required to take nine to twelve hours of leveling courses as determined by the communication graduate faculty.