How To Apply to Graduate School

How to Apply

Graduate Admissions

Deadlines and other helpful dates are listed on the Graduate School Calendar.

Please note: If you previously applied to , your application may still be valid! Applications are good for up to three semesters (including summers). You may be able to email us or complete a Change of Program Form instead of reapplying!

To Apply:

  • Click the orange Apply Now button on the Graduate School home page
  • Click “Create Account”
  • After filling out your profile and creating a username/password, log in
  • Click “Start Application”
  • Those seeking an F or J visa will choose “International,” all others choose “US Graduate”
  • Answer all questions
  • Submit the application fee to complete the application

Applicants will receive an email from Graduate Admissions once their application has been processed, which typically occurs on the next business day. This email will explain each document that is needed in order to complete the application.

Students can check the status of submitted admission materials in their myUTTyler account. Login information for this account is emailed to applicants about two business days after the application is submitted. Once all items are received, files are forwarded to the academic department for review. Graduate admission decisions are made by the academic departments.

Most programs offer rolling admission, and applicants should allow up to two weeks for the evaluation of an admission file. Official notification is emailed to applicants within 24 hours of admission decisions, and a hard copy is dropped in the mail shortly after. Not all qualified applicants will be admitted.

Transfer Students

A maximum of 9 credit hours of graduate course work may be transferred from an accredited institution or completed at before admission to a master's program. PhD applicants may transfer a maximum of 12 credit hours. The PhD-HRD program does not accept any transfer credit. All transfer credit must have been completed with a grade of "B" or better and be approved by the degree-granting program. The transfer application process will be the same as that of new students, except a Transfer Credit Form and official transcript of transfer courses must be submitted during the student's first semester at to receive transfer credit.

Some programs accept fewer transfer hours. Applicants should refer to the catalog for the requirements of the proposed degree.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Students who wish to take graduate-level courses without working towards a master's degree or graduate certificate, including those seeking prerequisites, courses for personal development, licensure, or professional development, can apply as Non-Degree Seeking. We offer several tracks: Graduate Non-Degree Seeking, Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Seeking, Transient, and NeXus.

All non-degree seeking students are ineligible for financial aid.

  • Graduate Non-Degree Seeking (Information)

    • GNDS status is designed for students that need to take a few graduate courses, but are not interested in earning the entire degree. Students may only complete a maximum of 9 hours of graduate-level work unless they have special permission from The Graduate School. No more than 9 hours earned as a non-degree seeking student may transfer to a master's or graduate certificate program, at the discretion of the program advisor. Please note that some graduate programs do not allow non-degree seeking students to take courses in their programs.

      To be admitted, Graduate Non-Degree Seeking students need to submit official transcripts showing a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8. No entrance exams are needed. Students with foreign transcripts may need an evaluation and language proficiency exam scores.

      For the dean to approve any graduate hours over the 9 allowable hours, you will need to send an email stating that you do not intend to pursue a graduate degree here at , and that you understand that no more than 9 hours of graduate work may apply to any future degree should you change your mind. This email will be forwarded to the dean for evaluation and you will be contacted via email with the dean’s decision.
  • Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Seeking (Information)

    • This admission type is for students who have earned a baccalaureate degree, but wish to take additional undergraduate classes without earning a second baccalaureate degree. Students are not limited in the number of hours of undergraduate work they may complete and will pay undergraduate tuition.

      To be admitted, Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Seeking students need to submit official transcripts – no minimum GPA required. No entrance exams are needed. Students with foreign transcripts may need an evaluation and language proficiency exam scores.
  • Transient Students (Information)

    • Students pursuing degrees at other colleges and universities who wish to take courses at may be admitted as a transient student. All that’s needed for this type of admission is an application, application fee, and completed Transient Approval Form. Transient students remain on a transient hold while at and cannot enroll online; the Enrollment Services Center will enroll you in the course(s) listed on your transient approval form. If the course(s) you desire to take has prerequisites, you must supply a copy of a transcript showing that you have met the requirements. Check the Catalog for prerequisites.

      A transient student who later wishes to be admitted to the University on a regular basis must apply for admission as a graduate student and meet all admission requirements. Students who are admitted are immediately subject to the University's academic regulations.

      On the application:

      1. Choose "Graduate Non-Degree Seeking" as your program
      2. Choose "Transient" from the specific area of interest menu.
  • Nexus (Information)

    • You must have approval from the Nursing program to participate in NEXus. Read more on the PhD Nursing Nexus page.

      On the application

      1. Select "NEXus Program" under SCHOOL OF NURSING in the program drop down menu.
      2. Select “Pay by Check” when prompted for payment (the application fee will be waived).

Graduate Restart

The Graduate Restart procedure is designed to allow returning students who performed poorly in their initial attempt at graduate studies to have a fresh start toward meeting graduation requirements for a degree or credit-granting certificate.

A graduate student who has not been enrolled at for at least 12 months prior to readmission may petition the Dean of the Graduate School to remove from his/her graduate cumulative GPA for all grades earned during their prior enrollment at the University. Thus, the student who re-enrolls under Graduate Restart automatically forfeits the right to use any of the previous graduate course work, including previously accrued transfer work, toward the current degree requirements. Only courses attempted following readmission either at the University or other institution after readmission will be applied to the degree requirements.

Restart petitions may be filed for readmission to a program in which a student was not previously successful or for admission to a different graduate program. Restart petitions must be approved by the graduate program advisor/coordinator or Chair of the program, the Dean of the college and the Dean of The Graduate School.

If readmission is granted under Graduate Restart, the following will apply:

  1. Enroll within one year (12 months) of the granting of the petition.
  2. Maintain good academic standing according to the current Graduate School policies.
  3. Policies on probation and suspension apply differently to Graduate Restart students only in that suspension will result in dismissal from the University.

All hours attempted and all grades earned before and after Graduate Restart will remain on the student's official, permanent academic record (transcript). Graduate Restart affects only the cumulative graduate grade point average for the restarted program of study. The Graduate Restart process does not remove evidence/documentation of the student's overall academic history at the university such as grades previously received, even if a course is repeated in the process of Graduate Restart.

A student may exercise the Graduate Restart option only once in their graduate career at the University, regardless of the number of times the student enters/attends a graduate degree program at .

To be considered for Graduate Restart, students must submit a Graduate Restart Request Petition to the advisor of the graduate program in which they seek their degree and provide a compelling justification for reinstatement. Students should explain how circumstances that previously impeded one's success in graduate school have been addressed and how their likelihood for success has improved.

Students must submit all materials required for full admission to the program (GRE scores, recommendation letters, statement of purpose, etc.) To participate in Graduate Restart a student must meet all the requirements for Full Graduate Admission; no provisional or conditional admission is allowed.

A student should carefully review this information to make sure that the terms of the program are understood. If the student agrees to the provisions of Graduate Restart, s/he should  meet with advisor for the graduate program, and be certain that all required documents to support the application for full admission have been submitted. The graduate advisor will initiate the Restart form. For the Graduate Restart applicant, the catalog in effect at the time of the Graduate Restart application is effective. The Graduate Restart option is tied to the admission process and may only be requested at the time of readmission.