Records Storage & Disposal Policy
Records Storage and Disposal Policy
(Note: Follow the university’s records retention schedule for destruction dates.)
Pick-Up, Storage and Disposal
No. 01-01-02 / Approved 02-03-03
STORAGE: The following process is required to have records picked up and stored in the Physical Plant Records Room 132:
- Label all boxes with department name, date to be destroyed (month and year) and number accordingly – 1 of (total number), 2 of (total number), etc.
- After boxes have been correctly labeled, create a work request for pick up through Service Now. For assistance in creating the work order, contact the Physical Plant at 566-7291. Specify the total number of boxes to be picked up and the delivery location (Physical Plant Room 132) on the work order.
- After submission of the work request, the Physical Plant director or the work control
coordinator must approve it. After approval is received, the Physical Plant will dispatch
a crew to pick up the boxes. A full-time UT Tyler employee from the Physical Plant
will accompany the crew in transferring the records to storage. Student records and
sensitive data will require that a representative from the appropriate area accompany
the moving crew and verify the proper placement of records in the storage warehouse.
DISPOSAL: When records stored at the Physical Plant have reached or exceeded the proper destruction date, the following process is taken to have them destroyed in the records destruction process:
- Once all of the boxes have been verified, recorded, and signed off by the Facilities Management representative, a vendor will be chosen to come to campus and shred the documents.
- The originating department chair shall maintain a records log of dates boxes are sent to storage and subsequent dates of destruction.