Applying as a Transfer Student
UT Tyler Honors Program
Students transferring to UT Tyler have the opportunity to enter the Honors Program through a two-year commitment that focuses on expanding major-specific course work and offers the opportunity to pursue individual research.
In the first year, the students will contract with faculty members in upper-division courses within their major to complete additional work, called contract courses. Contract courses may include an additional project, additional readings, additional meetings with a faculty member, additional research time in the faculty member's lab, etc.
In the second year, the students will investigate a research question in the fall and spring semesters, and compose either a paper for submission to an undergraduate research journal or a poster for presentation at an undergraduate research conference. Please refer to the Contract Course and Senior Research Project pages for more information.
In order to apply to the Honors Program transfer applicants must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher from their previous institution.
- Have been a member of the Honors Program or taken Honors classes at their previous institution*.
- Submit a completed application form.
- Answer two short essay prompts.
- Provide at least two references. At least one reference must be from a faculty member associated at the student's previous institution.
*If an applicant's previous institution does not have an Honors Program, this requirement can be waived.
Applications for Fall 2022 are now open! You can apply at this link. We will begin reviewing applications in May 2022.
Please email Laura Grace Dykes, (email@example.com), with any questions or concerns.
If you are a nursing or psychology student, please see the Honors in the Major page for more information about Honors in those majors.