Using Your Benefits
Information for new military affiliated students at UT Tyler
Thank you for considering UT Tyler as your pursue your educational goals! Our campus is grateful for your service and sacrifice, and looks forward to welcoming you.
If you are using Tuition Assistance (TA), please review our Military Tuition Assistance page.
All documentation for your benefits must be submitted through the MVSC course in Canvas.
To get access to the Canvas course, you must:
Apply to UT Tyler and be fully admitted. You are considered fully admitted once you have completed all admissions requirements and have received your PATRIOTS student email.
Enroll in the Canvas course AFTER you have registered for your classes. Most students are able to self-enroll into the Canvas course within twenty-four hours of registering for classes. If you cannot gain access the the course after twenty-four hours, please contact MVSC@uttyler.edu with your name, student number, and student email address.Enroll In Canvas Here
Documentation/Session Request Upload Time Frames
Fall Semester- June 1st-August 1st
Spring Semester- November 13th-December 15th
Summer Semester- March 20th-May 1st
VA requires that enrollment certifications be submitted within 30 days of the beginning of the term for all benefit chapters
- The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement
Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal
military and/or VA educational benefits. You can access a personalized data sheet
by visiting the THECB Net Price Calculator and selecting The University of Texas at Tyler. Additional financial information
can be found at the NCES College Navigator site.
- Students using Post-9/11 benefits are initially certified without tuition and fees.
Tuition and fees are sent to the VA approximately one (1) month after the start of
the fifteen week session term start date.
- Federal law requires that a hold be placed on students Chapter 31 benefits, as well
as those using Chapter 33 benefits at the 100% level. This hold is placed once your
session request has been received, and holds your classes through the bill due date.
Students using other VA benefits, as well as the Hazlewood benefit, have the option
of requesting a tuition deferment as required by state law.
- Tuition and fee information can be found here. Military affiliated students are generally subject to the same tuition policies
as other students at UT Tyler. Please contact the MVSC for more specific information.
- Release of Student Information: The MVSC cannot release any information that is a part of a student's educational record-including financial aid and benefit status information-to parents, guardians, or other interested parties without the specific permission of the student. Additional information on these guidelines can be found here.