UT Tyler Office of Marketing and Communications
COVID-19 UpdateFollow @UTTylerTweet
April 24, 2020
This information is not the most recent update. For the most recent information, visit
SAT/ACT requirements waived for FTIC students
Due to testing unavailability from COVID-19 related closures, The University of Texas at Tyler is waiving SAT/ACT admission requirements for first-time-in-college (FTIC) students with a minimum high school GPA of 2.75. This waiver applies to students entering in fall 2020.
DOE releases updated CARES grant eligibility requirements
The US Department of Education has released more specific guidance on how UT Tyler may distribute the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act grants to students. The new guidelines prohibit distribution of the CARES Act grant to students enrolled in completely online programs at the time UT Tyler moved its in-person classes to an online format.
The grants are specifically for expenses incurred as a result of disruption to the education process created by the COVID-19 pandemic. CARES funds have not been received by UT Tyler yet, but they are expected to be released shortly. When they are, all students will be emailed a link to the grant application.
UT Tyler University Pines residents released from leases
Students who need help with basic living necessities and academic support resources should reach out to Andrew Pettee, dean of students, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the COVID-19 Student Emergency Fund Application to make a request. Funds are limited.
Student Support Services available to the UT Tyler Community
During this stressful time students are dealing with a multitude of changes in their world and need the support of the University. From the Dean of Students:
The Student Counseling Center is available as a resource for you. Our therapists are providing telehealth services by phone and Zoom. Appointments can be scheduled either by phone at 903.565.5746 or through the UT Tyler Student Counseling Center webpage.
- Wednesday "Quarantine Confessions" group seminar: 1 p.m. via Zoom. Sign up to receive the zoom link. Crisis and after-hours services available 24/7 at 903.566.7254.
- Therapist Assisted Online (TAO) program: Confidential library of interactive self-help modules to assist with stress management, relaxation, problem solving and many other topics. Sign up with your UT Tyler or Patriots email.
- UT Thrive app: free from your app store or from these Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook pages. Find tips for managing stress, feeling more connected, mindfulness techniques and other wellness tips.
The Center for Students in Recovery supports students in recovery for mental health and substance abuse. Open online recovery meetings are available twice a week or students can call or email for individual services. uttyler.edu/recovery
The Center for Student Financial Wellness provides support to students with financial literacy and financial wellness resources. One-on-one financial counseling is offered by phone, Skype or Zoom. uttyler.edu/csfw
Student Conduct and Intervention supports students, faculty and staff through consultation, the CARE Team, case management and conduct services. Individual meetings are available through telephone or Zoom. If you have a concern about a student, please submit a CARE report so we can follow-up. uttyler.edu/sci
The Graduate School announces calendar adjustments
The following adjustments have been made to the calendar for graduate programs:
- Special Ed MEd/Diagnostician – This program will now continue to accept and process summer 2020 applications as time permits.
- PhD HRD – This program will now continue to accept and process fall 2020 applications as time permits.
- Thesis dissertation defense and final submission date extended.
- Now accepting the Duolingo English Test (DET) with a minimum score of 105 from international students to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement.
- New Graduate Fellowship application deadline for fall 2020 extended to June 1.
For more information, visit The Graduate School calendar.
The Office of Research and Scholarship remains open to assist campus
The Office of Research & Scholarship (proposal preparation, submission and administration) and Scientific Review Committees (IRB, IACUC, IBC, COI) continues to provide full-service assistance remotely. For more information, email email@example.com.