UT Tyler Office of Marketing and Communications
COVID-19 UpdateFollow @UTTylerTweet
May 8, 2020
This information is not the most recent update. For the most recent information, visit
CARES Grant: Students can apply now
UT Tyler students can now apply for the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act grant. The grants are specifically for expenses incurred as a result of disruption to the education process created by the COVID-19 pandemic such as food, housing, course materials, technology, healthcare and child care.
To apply, visit uttyler.edu/cares.
Per the Department of Education and UT System requirements, students must meet the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled in at least one (1) three credit hour on-ground course at UT Tyler as of March 13, 2020.
- Students who were fully online March 13 and previously are not eligible.
- Must have filed and be eligible to apply for financial aid through FAFSA (does not include international, DACA and dual credit students).
- Must be maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
Limited funds are available, so students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Funds will be awarded until UT Tyler's allocation of the CARES grant has been exhausted.
Students will be notified if they received an award within 1-2 weeks of application. If a student is awarded, they will need to make sure they have selected their refund preference with BankMobile. UT Tyler has partnered with BankMobile Disbursements to deliver financial aid and other school refunds to UT Tyler students. Please follow BankMobile's instructions for selecting your preference:
- Visit refundselection.com
- Enter your personal code (arrived in a green envelope or via email)
- Select how you want your money delivered
- Make your choice at refundselection.com
- Don't have a code? Visit refundselection.com and click on the "Need A Code?" link.
Barnes and Noble Bookstore announces online spring and summer textbook plans
Need to return a spring textbook? Please access the Barnes and Noble Bookstore website to complete the Textbook Rental Return online form for spring textbook returns. Fill out the requested information, including your order ID. For students who rented in the store, please check your email for a message from Barnes and Noble regarding your order ID. Once the web form is submitted, you will be able to create your free shipping label. Follow the packaging instructions to return the books.
Summer textbooks are available online and will be shipped to you for free. Please access the Online Bookstore to order your summer textbooks.
Academic affairs updates pass/fail information
UT Tyler is proud of all students for persevering during a challenging spring semester. Undergraduate students should remember that they must submit the Grade Appeal Form for the pass/fail option by May 19. The pass/fail option is GPA neutral, and neither "pass" nor "fail" will affect the GPA.
New student orientation will be held in hybrid format
All first-time freshmen or new students under 30 hours will need to complete new student orientation. This year orientation will be a hybrid program. Students will complete a portion of orientation online and another portion in person. Students will be assigned to Thursday or Friday based on the student's registration, student holds and TSI status. To ensure the safety of those attending and those involved with the program, there will not be an overnight component to orientation. uttyler.edu/orientation
Incoming freshmen will be permitted to register prior to orientation
In order to help incoming freshmen finalize their plans for fall 2020, they will be permitted to register as early as May 21. Traditionally, freshmen registered during orientation in the summer.
- Incoming freshmen who have been admitted to UT Tyler, paid their freshman confirmation fee and are Texas Success Initiative (TSI) complete will receive an email to their Patriots account with information on how to schedule their academic advising appointment.
- Appointments can begin for incoming freshmen as early as May 21, 2020, and will continue throughout the summer.
- Appointments will be held via Zoom or phone call.
- Advisors will contact students as they have paid the confirmation fee and/or become TSI complete with information on how to schedule an academic advising appointment.
- Incoming freshmen will be registered for fall 2020 classes as long as there are no holds blocking their registration such as financial agreement incomplete and bacterial meningitis. Students can log into myUTTyler for information on removing holds.
- Incoming freshmen who have paid their confirmation fee and are considered TSI liable will be contacted by the TSI coordinator in the coming weeks with information on becoming TSI complete.