Mandatory New International Student Orientation
Office of International Programs
We look forward to welcoming you to the United States and The University of Texas at Tyler. Take a moment to review all that we have to offer to help you settle in to life and study at UT Tyler. The first step in this process is to complete the Medical Clearance Requirements for International Students.
Who needs to attend New International Student Orientation?
All incoming students to UT Tyler who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents upon applying for admission to UT are classified by the university as international students. If you are a Texas Resident for tuition purposes, but are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, you are still classified as an international student. New International Student Orientation is mandatory for F-1 visa holders and for J-1 students enrolling at UT Tyler for the first time. It is also required of students changing their visa status to F-1.
Why do I need to attend New International Student Orientation?
New International Student Orientation provides valuable information to ease your transition to UT Tyler. During orientation, you will be provided with information about immigration regulations, work eligibility in the U.S., forms of identification, the health care system, and also have an opportunity to meet representatives from service offices across campus.
How do I sign up for New International Orientation?
All new international students, including transfer students, must register to attend the Mandatory New International Student Orientation. Be sure to check your email for an "Orientation Reminder" two weeks prior to your orientation date.
For Spring 2017, the New International Student Orientation will be held on Thursday, 12 January 2017, at the University Center in the Ballroom. This mandatory event will take place from 8:15 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. International students must arrive no later than 8:30 a.m. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Review the New Student Checklist of important assignments to complete, as you prepare to register for classes.
- View the list of Important Dates to Remember for deadlines.
- View the OIP Calendar for all social and cultural events occurring on campus.
- For questions about International Student Orientation or the items on the checklist, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about your F-1 immigrant status email email@example.com.
If you have not met with your International Advisor to check-in and submit the necessary documentation before New International Student Orientation, you will need to do so immediately after orientation. The International Student, Scholar & Faculty Services (ISSFS) Office will be closed on orientation day for the duration of New International Student Orientation, but will re-open at 2:00 p.m. Normal advising hours are Monday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. To have a speedy transition to UT bring these original documents with you to ISSFS:
- Official Bank Statement
- Certification of Financial Responsibility (CFR)
- Sevis Transfer Form (if you are a transfer student)
- Financial Documents (if you have not already submitted these to ISSFS)
- Required Medical Clearance Documentation (for more information see Medical Clearance Requirements for International Students)
- You will also need to update your U.S. local address and U.S. phone number with your International Advisor. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires you to update your U.S. local address and phone number within 10 days of any change.