Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy
UT Tyler Fisch College of Pharmacy Welcomes Class of 2027 with White Coat Ceremony
Twenty-two first-year students from the Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy received their white coats in a ceremony at The University of Texas at Tyler. This marks the beginning of their Doctor of Pharmacy Education at UT Tyler and of their pharmacy careers.
“Receiving your first white coat is a significant moment for students, as they officially enter the profession of pharmacy,” said Dr. Amy Schwartz, Fisch College of Pharmacy dean. “The faculty and student body look forward to officially welcoming our new students to the profession and the Fisch College of Pharmacy family.”
Jay Bueche, the managing director of pharmacy at H-E-B, served as the keynote speaker. Bueche encouraged the pharmacy students to be a positive force of change. SaMoan Brown, a second-year pharmacy student, served as the class representative and guest speaker. During the ceremony, students recited the Pledge of Professionalism and donned their white coats, symbolizing their commitment to prioritize clinical service and care. Dr. Henna Vazirani, a Fisch College of Pharmacy preceptor, led students in reciting the pledge. Read More
UT Tyler Professor Selected for National Cancer Institute Panel
Dr. Santosh Aryal, associate professor of pharmaceutical science and health outcomes at The University of Texas at Tyler, has been selected to serve on a National Cancer Institute Special Emphasis expert panel.
As one of 11 experts on the panel, Aryal will review applications submitted by small businesses developing new cancer technologies. The panel’s feedback will help NCI determine how to allocate and prioritize fundings in the mission against cancer. If chosen, applicants could receive the funding they need to further develop and deliver life-saving cancer diagnostics and treatments to the public. Read More
Dean Announced for the Fisch College of Pharmacy at The University of Texas at Tyler
Amy H. Schwartz, PharmD, BCPS, has been selected as the new dean of The University of Texas at Tyler Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy, effective March 2023.
“We were fortunate to have had a large and diverse selection of candidates to consider for the dean’s position,” President Kirk A. Calhoun, MD, FACP, said. “Dr. Schwartz impressed us with a depth of knowledge throughout her 30 years of experience as a pharmacist, and I am very pleased that she has accepted the role to lead our faculty and educate our students.”
A board-certified pharmacotherapy specialist, Schwartz is known for her extensive experience in pharmacy and higher education. She has had recent publications in Pharmacotherapy, American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and American Medical Association Journal of Ethics. Read More
Fisch College of Pharmacy Highlights from Fall 2022!
The Fisch College of Pharmacy welcomed the Doctor of Pharmacy Class of 2026 into the pharmacy profession through the 2022 White Coat Ceremony. Family, friends, faculty, and staff gathered at The University of Texas Braithwaite Recital Hall in celebration. Dr. Shawn Sams, pharmacist and owner of Louis Morgan Drug #4 provided students guidance through his keynote address. Ms. Sadie Chester, Doctor of Pharmacy Class of 2025, was selected by her peers to speak to the new student pharmacists. Dr. Kabria Davis, Fisch College of Pharmacy Alumni (Class of 2019) led the students in the Pledge of Professionalism.
Honors & Achievements
- Matthew Coggins and Ryback Cyzr Lomboy, PharmD Candidates, represented the college at the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) Clinical Skills Competition during the ASHP Annual Meeting in Las Vegas, NV; December 2022.
- David Foote, PharmD Candidate was elected as the Region IV Facilitator in the national pharmacy organization, the Student National Pharmacist Association (SNPhA).
- Dr. Winter J. Smith, PharmD, BCPS was appointed to the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Commission on Credentialing in August 2022. This commission develops pharmacy residency accreditation standards, assesses residency program adherence to the standards, and makes recommendations regarding the accreditation status of individual residency programs.
- Dr. Elizabeth Yett, PharmD, BCACP, TTS completed the Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists (TSHP) Transitions of Care Certificate in 2022.
- Dr. Frank Yu, PharmD, MPH received his Masters of Public Health degree from The University of Texas at Tyler.
- Elueze E. The Opioid Overdose Crisis – The Role of the Pharmacist. Presented at the Fisch College of Pharmacy Clinical, Research and Scholarly Conference in Tyler, TX; October 11, 2022.
- Veronin M. A FAERS Research Project. Presented at the Fisch College of Pharmacy Clinical, Research and Scholarly Conference in Tyler, TX; January 2023.
- Yett ES. Myth Busters: Vaccine Edition. Presented at the 2022 APhA-ASP Midyear Regional Meeting (Region 6) in Dallas, TX; October 21-23, 2022.
- Yett ES. HPV Vaccine 101 - How to Communicate with other Providers and Patients. Presented at the 2022 APhA-ASP Midyear Regional Meeting (Region 6) in Dallas, TX; October 21-23, 2022.
- Yu F. The struggle is real! Why you should struggle or suffer with your patients. Presented at the Fisch College of Pharmacy Annual Preceptor Development Conference in Tyler, TX; December, 2022.
- Yu F. You know it when you see it – APPE unreadiness. Presented at the Fisch College of Pharmacy Clinical, Research and Scholarly Conference in Tyler, TX; December 13, 2022.
- Rayamajhi S, Sulthana S, Ferrel C, Shrestha TB, Aryal S. Extracellular vesicles production and proteomic cargo varies with incubation time and temperature. Exp Cell Res. 2023 Jan 15;422(2):113454. doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2022.113454. Epub 2022 Dec 27. PMID: 36584743.
- Lin Z, Aryal S, Cheng YH, Gesquiere AJ. Integration of In Vitro and In Vivo Models to Predict Cellular and Tissue Dosimetry of Nanomaterials Using Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic Modeling. ACS Nano. 2022 Dec 27;16(12):19722-19754. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.2c07312. Epub 2022 Dec 15. PMID: 36520546; PMCID: PMC9798869.
- Rice SD, Neff AN, Woodall T, Scott MA. Pharmacy student attitudes towards a career in older adult care. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2022;14(5):626-634. doi:10.1016/j.cptl.2022.04.012
- Eiland LS, Brown TR, Enderby CY, Luchen GG, Smith WJ, Trovato JA, Chisholm-Burns MA. The ASHP Section of Pharmacy Educators Crystal Ball project: Insight into the future of pharmacy education. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2022 Nov 1:zxac332. doi: 10.1093/ajhp/zxac332. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36318806.
- Yett ES, Phan H, Mills AR, et al. Development and Evaluation of a Pharmacist-Driven Vitamin D Protocol for a Cystic Fibrosis Clinic. J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther. 2022;27(4):306-311. doi:10.5863/1551-6776-27.4.306
Explore @UTTylerPharmacy on Twitter...