Study Abroad Insurance

The Office of International Programs

Study Abroad Insurance

UT Systems requires all students to be covered with this insurance, even though we are aware that it means some students will be dually covered by a national health care program and/or by a program affiliate insurance policy.

International SOS specializes in assisting students who need health, safety, and security service assistance while abroad.
Visit the official International SOS website before going abroad to access:

  • Online country guides with cultural tips as well as health and safety information
  • Information on availability of medications in host country, online, or by phone
  • Online travel advisory information for every country and current travel recommendations

Call ISOS while abroad if the student:

  • needs to see a doctor due to illness or injury
  • needs to speak to a nurse or Western-trained doctor
  • needs to be evacuated due to civil uprisings or natural disasters
  • is a victim of a crime, including theft
  • needs advice on the loss of travel documents or legal assistance while abroad
  • is in an emergency situation and needs advice or assistance
  • wants UT officials to be aware of their situation (Note: The student must give ISOS consent to share the information with UT officials)

ISOS Contact Information:
Call 1.215.942.8478, call collect from anywhere at any time.
Reference UT's member number- on the student's ISOS card.

The bill for the insurance will appear on your student account under "Account Summary" tab and is due prior to travel, so don't forget to get registered! Students will be enrolled in Overseas Insurance by completing their registration as instructed
Overseas Insurance coverage dates are based on the student's travel dates.

Students will receive an Emergency Card at their in person Pre-Departure Meeting listing the ACE and ISOS policy numbers and contact information.

For additional coverage when taking extra days for leisure travel, students can contact the insurance carrier of their choice or ACE directly to purchase health insurance.


ACE American Insurance Company provides the international health insurance portion of UT Tyler Overseas Insurance, and will handle most student concerns.
Students should be prepared to pay for minor medical expenses and then submit a claim to ACE American Insurance Company for reimbursement.  The student should file a medical claim within 90 days of receiving medical care.

In rare cases in which medical fees exceed $500, ISOS can pay the expense on behalf of the student and receive reimbursement later.  Students can download a claims form from the Overseas Insurance web page and submit medical claims to ACE American Insurance Company.

Call ACE American Insurance Company if:

  • The student wants to know about prescription drug benefits
  • The student wants to know about coverage for expected medical expenses
  • The student needs to file a claim
  • To purchase additional coverage for leisure travel

ACE American Insurance Company Contact Information:
Telephone: 800.336.0627
Fax: 302.476.7857

ACE American Insurance Company
Accident & Health Claims
P.O.  Box 5124
Scranton, PA 18505



The University of Texas System International General Liability insurance provides coverage for a UT student when an accidental (not expected or intended) negligent act resulting in bodily injury or property damage to a third party is committed.  Coverage will not result in financial compensation to the UT student, rather if warranted, to the third party.  Coverage benefits to the UT student will manifest in the form of defense assistance as warranted under the General Liability Insurance policy.

NOTICE: In general, University of Texas at Tyler students may not travel to locations listed on the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Alerts and Warnings for academic activities associated with the UT Tyler.
However, the UT Tyler International Oversight Committee (IOC) may recommend exceptions to the general rule on a case-by-case basis. The IOC strongly recommends that no travel arrangements be made until the trip has received final written approval for travel to the designated restricted country and/or region.
For approved trips, the IOC recommends the purchase of trip cancellation insurance in the event that conditions change in the country and/or region that result in withdrawal from the trip. For faculty-led travel study trips, consult with your professor and the Office of International Programs.

Possible Academic and Financial Loss
The approval to travel to a location listed on the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Alerts and Warnings does not alter the University's position that study and travel in a country or region may be dangerous. Rather, approval indicates that the University recognizes that a particular student understands and appreciates the risks involved in participation, is willing to assume individual responsibility for those risks, and for academic reasons, the student has decided to participate in spite of such risks.
Furthermore, any student participating in a program which includes travel to a restricted destination shall bear solely and entirely any financial loss or loss of academic credit that may result in the event that the situation in-country deteriorates and either UT Tyler or the U.S. State Department's evaluation of the situation in-country changes and either UT Tyler or the U.S. State Department requires that all Americans leave immediately.
Likewise, should a student choose to leave the program or destination for any reason prior to the completion of his or her studies, the student shall bear solely and entirely any financial loss or loss of academic credit that may result.