UT Tyler School of Performing Arts
UT Tyler Jazz ensembles are directed by Dr. Sarah Roberts.
The UT Tyler Jazz Ensemble is a traditional big band, performing exceptional music of the past as well as more recent repertoire and is open to all university students by audition. The Jazz Ensemble performs frequently on campus and in other venues. In addition to to ensemble rehearsals, each section is required to have one sectional each week.
Course Number: MUEN 1135/3155
MWF 1:25-2:20 pm
The UT Tyler Jazz Combo performs a variety of jazz repertoire, often with vocal soloist(s),
that is indicative of famous small groups throughout the history of jazz. In addition
to relying heavily on improvisation, Jazz Combo allows participants the opportunity
to write and arrange for the group. The Jazz Combo is open to all university students
by audition. The ensemble performs frequently on campus and in other venues.
Course Number: MUEN 1131/3131
TTH 2:00-3:20 pm
Jazz Improvisation is offered to those students who are interested in learning the
art of improvisation.
Course Number: MUAP 1125/3125
TTH 3:35-4:55 pm
Spring 2020 Jazz Auditions Information
All auditionees will need to sign-up for an audition time prior to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, 1/14/19, on the sign up sheets found on the UTT Jazz Board located on the first floor of the FAC across from the Locker Room.
- FAC 2216; Monday 1/13/20; 1:45 pm
- Jazz Ensemble auditions will consist of prepared etudes and sight-reading. There will
also be an OPTIONAL improvisation element for those interested in demonstrating such
skill for ensemble placement, or for those saxophonists interested in jazz combo.
- Trumpets & Trombones
- FAC 2219; Monday 1/13/20; 1:45 pm
- Jazz Ensemble auditions will consist of prepared etudes and sight-reading. There will also be an OPTIONAL improvisation element for those interested in demonstrating such skill for ensemble placement, or for those brass players interested in jazz combo.
- FAC 2007; Monday 1/13/20; 1:45 pm
- Demonstration of various jazz styles including swing (in “two” and in “four”), : nova,
samba, funk, rock, jazz waltz, shuffle, and afro-cuban 12/8
- Suitable time keeping/comping for large and/or small ensembles
- FAC 1221; Monday 1/13/20; 1:45 pm
- Jazz Ensemble auditions will consist of prepared etude, sight-reading, walking bass line on F blues at a medium swing tempo, demonstration of bass lines and improvisation in various jazz styles (for those interested in jazz combo).
- Combo Personnel & Big Band Solo Chairs
- Be prepared to play an improvised solo on one of the following selections chosen by the audition panel: Autumn Leaves (key of Concert G minor); There Will Never Be Another You (key of Concert Eb); Blues in Concert F. Play-along accompaniment will be provided by the audition panel.
NOTE: The Committee reserves the right to shorten a passage during the audition, skip passages, request that passages be repeated, refuse requests for repeating passages, and also to dismiss the auditionees at any point during the audition should they not meet the required standard of preparation.
Audition results will be posted on the UT Tyler Jazz Board located on the first floor of the FAC across from the locker room.