Housing Questions

How do I sign up for housing?

Once you are fully admitted to the university, visit my.uttyler.edu > Important Links > Housing and follow the on screen instructions. In less than 10 minutes you can have a reserved room and begin contacting your future roommates.

Is there a deadline?

Housing applications close May 15th each year to all students (except first tie freshmen). Completing your housing agreement early is the best way to be certain that you get the room type of your choice.

Why did I get a letter saying I’m assigned to University Pines?

The University of Texas at Tyler has a contractual obligation with Campus Living Villages USA (CLVUSA) that requires us to assign students to University Pines before we assign them to either Patriot Village, Ornelas Residence Hall, Liberty Landing or Victory Village. However, students may reject the assignment to University Pines, in which case we will assign them to their choice of Patriot Village, Ornelas Residence Hall, Liberty Landing or Victory Village.

Will my financial aid cover my housing fee?

Unless you sign a contract with University Pines, your rent will be added to your student account like any other charge from UT Tyler. This amount is charged per semester and is added approximately two weeks before classes begin. Your financial aid will then be applied to your account. You may set up a payment plan on your myUTTyler account if needed. If you have other questions about your financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 903.566.7180.

Are pets allowed?

No, Pets are not allowed at any campus housing facility.

When will I get my room assignment?

As long as space permits, you will be able to choose your room during the application process. Once we have limited spaces available, you will be asked for your top preferences and we will start emailing room assignments in mid-July for the fall semester. There will also be instructions for finding your roommate information in the email. We will send the information to your Patriots email.

How do I pay for my room?

For all UT Tyler managed housing, your "rent" will be added to your student account. Housing fees are charged per semester. To view your account at any time, log on to myUTTyler.

How will roommates be assigned?

Roommate groups must be established as part of the application process. 

Is there a guarantee I can room with my chosen roommate?

Roommate groups must be established as part of the application process. While we cannot guarantee that we will be able to, every attempt is made to accommodate student building, room and roommate requests, but cannot be guaranteed. The later a student applies for housing the fewer options there are available.

May I change my room or facility?

These requests will only be accepted through the Residence Coordinator after census date each semester and after all attempts at resolving any conflicts have been made.

When will I be able to move-in to my housing assignment?

Student move-in begins the weekend before start of classes each semester.

Is there bus service from UT Tyler to the rest of Tyler?

The Tyler Transit System operates a bus system throughout Tyler. There is a bus stop across from the main entrance of UT Tyler on Varsity Drive. For more information on Tyler Transit please call 903.533.8057.

When can I have visitors in my room?

Due to COVID-19, it is requested to limit visitors in all housing facilities.

Do I have to move my stuff out for winter break?

Residents do not have to move all of their belongings out for winter break. If a resident needs to stay for a school function or a job, they must provide proof to the head RA of their facility and they will be able to stay through the break.

We will have reduced staffing available over the break. We encourage students to go home for winter break and to come back rejuvenated for the spring semester. The last resident to leave for the break from each room is required to check out with their RA. There will not be mail service over the break. All mail is held at the university's central receiving until the first day of class for the spring.

What furniture is included?

All of the university housing is considered fully furnished.

Patriot Village:

Each bedroom contains single bed (twin) extra-long mattress, desk with chair, dresser. Couch and coffee table (twin XL mattress is 38 inches wide and 80 inches long)

Ornelas Hall:

Triple (three bedrooms): Each bedroom contains single bed (twin) extra long mattress, night stand, dresser, bookshelf and desk with chair. Couch, chair, side table, two ottomans (twin XL mattress is 38 inches wide and 80 inches long)

Double (one room): Two beds (twin) extra long mattresses, two night stands, two dressers, two bookshelves and two desks with chairs. (twin XL mattress is 38 inches wide and 80 inches long)

Liberty Landing

Comes with a standard full-sized bed and mattress, desk with chair, dresser, couch, and coffee table. Apartments come either with bar stools or kitchen tables and chairs. (full mattress is 53 inches wide and 75 inches long)

Victory Village

Comes with a standard full-sized bed and mattress, desk with chair, dresser, couch, coffee table, and kitchen table and chairs. (full mattress is 53 inches wide and 75 inches long)

Am I allowed to bring my own furniture?

All communities are fully furnished. You may bring additional furniture, but the university furniture must not leave the room.

What appliances are included?

Ornelas Hall: None.

Patriot Village: Refrigerator/freezer (with ice maker), an electric oven with range top, a dishwasher and garbage disposal.

Liberty Landing: Washer and Dryer. Refrigerator/freezer (with ice maker), an electric oven with range top, a dishwasher and garbage disposal.

Victory VillageWasher and Dryer. Refrigerator/freezer (with ice maker), an electric oven with range top, a dishwasher and garbage disposal.


How can I contact my facility? 

Residence Hall Information


Residence Hall    Number    Location 
Liberty Landing    (903) 565-5990    3088 Old Omen Rd 
Ornelas Residence Hall    (903) 565-6400   3900 University Blvd 
Patriot Village   (903) 565-5725   3815 Campus Drive
Victory Village   (903) 565-4700   2851 County Rd 272
University Pines   (903) 566-3565   3333 Varsity Drive


What is my mailing address? 

All mail for the university comes through the central receiving department. Mail should be sent to one of the following addresses depending upon where the student lives:

Name                                         Name                                   University Pines
Patriot Village/Ornelas Hall        Liberty Landing,                   Name,
Room # & Letter                         Apartment # & Letter           Apt #
3900 University Blvd                   3088 Old Omen Road        3333 Varsity Drive
Tyler, TX 75799                           Tyler, TX 75701                  Tyler, TX 75701

Victory Village
Apartment # & Letter
2851 County Rd 272
Tyler, TX 75707

Is there parking available if you live on campus? Where is it located?

Ornelas Hall residents can park in parking lot 15, 17, or 18. Patriot Village is a gated community. Residents are allowed to park in the lot around the complex. You must have a UT Tyler parking sticker. You can pay for the parking sticker on your myUTTyler account and then you can pick up your parking sticker at the police station.

How many hours do I need to take to live on campus?

You must take at least 9 for undergrad and 6 for graduate.

Will I be charged if I decide to leave mid-semester or in December?

If you are living on campus you signed an academic year contact (August to May). Cancellation charges are specified in the terms and conditions. If you are graduating, you will not be charged the cancellation fee.

Do I need a meal plan?

All residents of who live in campus housing must purchase a meal plan. The meal plan will be billed directly to your student account.

Can I change my meal plan?

You can change your meal up to census day each semester. After census day, you will not be able to change your meal plan.

What do I do if I have a light out or other maintenance issue?

You may complete a work order request through the Housing Portal of your myUTTyler student account.

How do I connect to the Residence Life Internet service?

You will need to create a login with our service provider. Instructions are found on this login information sheet.


What should I bring with me?

Patriot Village, Liberty Landing, and Victory Village:


Toilet paper


Kitchen supplies


Cleaning supplies

Shower curtain

Alarm clock

Pots and pans


Dishes & Silverware

Kitchen Table

Trash can and trash bags

Ethernet cord

Microwave(max 800 watts) only 1 per apartment


Coffee pot/Keurig



Surge protector

Ornelas Hall:


Toilet paper


Mini Fridge(max 5 cubic ft.) - 1 per bedroom - Staff may require it use certain outlet in the room


Cleaning supplies

Shower curtain

Alarm clock

Microwave(max 800 watts, only 1 per dorm suite) 




Trash can and trash bags

Ethernet cord


Surge protectors


Appliances only permitted in units with full kitchens (Liberty Landing, Patriot Village and Victory Village)

  • Crock pot
  • Hot plate
  • Electric grill
  • Sandwich maker/grill
  • Frying skillet/Electric skillet
  • Toaster or toaster oven


What is not allowed in housing?

Banners are not permitted to be displayed outside the facilities unless special arrangements have been made.

Barbecue grill

Lava lamp

Candle/Candle warmer 

 Neon sign   

Ceiling fan (unless provided)                        

Oil air freshener (plug-in)                 

Extension Cord

 Oil lamp

 Electric blanket

 Portable air conditioner or heater                       

Grill–gas/charcoal of any size

Halogen/Lava lamp

 Any other cooking appliances (Ornelas Hall Only)      



Due to fire safety regulations, the oven may not be used to heat rooms. Barbecue grills may not be used on porches or patios and must be kept at least 20 feet from the building while in use. Items that are not permitted (see above list) on campus will be removed by the hall staff. Students may pick these items up from the Residence Coordinator when they plan to take them home.

Residents must use Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory approved surge protectors (electrical power strips with built-in circuit breakers) if additional electrical outlets are needed. Multiple plug adapters, splitters and extension cords are not permitted. 

Students who are assigned to a room without a full-sized refrigerator may bring a refrigerator (not to exceed 1.8 amperage or 5.0 cubic feet). This policy is a university fire and safety regulation to protect campus residents.