Office of the Registrar


Withdrawals for All Students

Prior to the first day of classes, students should conduct all drops online via their Student Center in the myUTTyler system. This functionality is disabled once classes begin for each term.

From the first day of classes through the Census Date, students may submit a partial withdrawal (dropping from some but not all of their classes) on a registration form found on our forms site with the "Drops Only'' section completed.

After the Census Date, and before the Last Day to Withdraw, students may submit a partial withdrawal on a Course Drop or Withdrawal Request Form to the Enrollment Services Center (ESC); this form is available only at the Enrollment Services Center, the Longview University Center, or Mathis Hall on the Palestine campus.

Note: Instructor signatures will be required for all undergraduate partial withdrawals; the department chair or the student's major college dean may sign in cases where an instructor is unavailable. See Withdrawals for Undergraduate Students below.

After the first day of classes, and before the Last Day to Withdraw, students may submit a complete withdrawal (dropping all courses for the semester) on a Course Drop or Withdrawal Request form to the Enrollment Services Center.

Students who are unable to complete the withdrawal process on campus may withdraw from courses, following the same dates and deadlines described above, by submitting an email to from their Patriots student email account or in writing by letter or fax. NOTE: Email requests from any non-Patriots account will not be processed.
Requests submitted by email must include: all course information, the reason for withdrawal and the student’s ID number.
Requests submitted by mail or fax must include: the student's name, student ID number, all course information, the reason for withdrawal, the student's signature and a copy of the student’s university- or government-issued photo ID (student ID card, driver's license, military ID, etc).

  • All drops/withdrawals are final once processed. Students should take care to complete their forms accurately prior to submission for processing.
  • All drop/withdrawal requests will be processed as-of when the request is received at the Enrollment Services Center.
  • Incomplete submissions will not be processed until amended by the student; the final processing date will be the date the form is amended.
  • Students may not withdraw from a course after the "Last Day to Withdraw," as listed on the Academic Calendar. Late submissions will not be processed. Students who miss the withdrawal deadline or cease to complete work toward their courses after this point will automatically receive an F, or whatever grade they would earn based on their already completed work in the course.

Dropping or withdrawing from classes may affect financial aid eligibility, veteran's benefits, athletic eligibility or international student status. Students should consult with those departments prior to dropping or withdrawing.

All partial withdrawals by undergraduate students seeking their first baccalaureate degree are subject to the provisions of the 6-Drop Rule, except as noted here; students who have exceeded the number of allowed non-exempt drops under the 6-Drop Rule will be ineligible to complete partial withdrawals. Complete withdrawals for undergraduate students seeking their first baccalaureate degree, and all withdrawals by other student populations, are exempt from the 6-Drop Rule.

Students who feel their ability to withdraw was negatively impacted by circumstances beyond their control, or those who believe they may qualify for an exception under the 6-drop Rule, may submit an appeal to the Student Appeals Committee.

Withdrawals for Undergraduate Students

Per the How to Withdraw section of the catalog, undergraduate students submitting partial withdrawals must obtain signatures from the instructor of record of each class they wish to withdraw from between the day after the Census Date and the Last Day to Withdraw; the department chair or the student's major college dean may sign in cases where an instructor is unavailable. This must be completed on a Course Drop or Withdrawal form. Students withdrawing via Patriots email request, fax or mail must still arrange for instructor, department chair, or major college dean signatures or written consent to be forwarded to the Enrollment Services Center. Undergraduate students submitting complete withdrawals are not required to obtain signatures.

Withdrawals for Graduate Students

Graduate students must follow the same procedures and deadlines as undergraduate students, except as related to signatures for drops. Graduate students are not required to have instructor or other department signatures to drop courses between the Census Date and last day to withdraw from one or more courses. They are, however, still encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to discuss options before dropping courses.

Withdrawals for International Students, Veterans, Student Athletes, Scholarship Recipients, and Students with Financial Aid Awards

International students, veterans receiving VA benefits, student athletes, scholarship recipients, and any students who have been awarded financial aid wishing to submit any withdrawal that requires use of the Course Drop or Withdrawal form must obtain the appropriate signature as noted on the form.

Students in each of these groups are highly encouraged to consult with the appropriate advisor before any schedule changes are made, as changes may negatively impact their status, benefits or eligibility.

Withdrawal Submission Information

Mail: The University of Texas at Tyler
Enrollment Services Center ADM 230
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, TX, 75799

Fax: 903.566.7183